Associate Professor of Finance
Dr. Fernandez began as a visiting assistant professor and became a full-time assistant professor in fall 2014.
- PhD, finance; Florida International University
- B.BA, finance; Florida International University
Giovanni Fernandez came to Stetson University from Florida International University in Miami, where he was born and raised. He began as a visiting assistant professor and became a full-time assistant professor in fall 2014. He was drawn to Stetson University because of the university's tradition and faculty-to-student ratio. Going to and teaching at a larger institution taught Fernandez the importance of small class sizes, which allow for a better learning environment, providing the professor with the proper forum to easily transfer knowledge and have a grasp on the students' understanding. His love of finance began at a young age, as his father taught finance for 36 years and is also a financial advisor, both areas in which Fernandez has chosen to follow.
More About Giovanni Fernandez
Areas of Expertise
- Advanced Financial Management
- Business Finance
- Business Statistics
- Introduction to Personal Finance
- Multinational Finance
- Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
- Sport Finance
- Mutual fund performance
- Bankruptcy prediction
- "Market Signals of Financial Distress," Journal of Accounting and Finance, volume 14(4), 2014. Forthcoming.
- "With One Shot, Which Bullet Would You Use? Market versus Accounting Data in Bankruptcy Prediction Part I (The Univariate Case)," The International Journal of Finance, volume 26(3), 2014. Forthcoming.