DeLand Hiring Process
Our Human Resources Team is driven to provide an efficient and people-focused experience for our colleagues in the hiring process. We are excited to welcome new talent to our Hatter community.
Please note, this process is specific to the DeLand Employment process. For questions regarding the employment process at the College of Law, please e-mail [email protected].
A job description is a useful, plain-language tool that explains the tasks, duties, function and responsibilities of a position. This is important in clarifying roles, determining salary levels, identifying work location, conducting performance reviews and creating reasonable accommodations. Additionally, stating how the position relates to the mission and goals of Stetson is useful in recruiting employees for our diverse and inclusive workforce. Job descriptions are required in the Staffing Comittee Process detailed in the next step. To simply update a job description with no staffing request needed, please e-mail [email protected].
All requests for new or replacement positions, job reclassifications, department reorganizations and other changes affecting position budgets must go through Stetson's Staffing Process.
- Complete the Staffing Request Form.
- Receive approval/sign-off from the appropriate vice president, provost, dean of law or athletic director.
- Submit the Staffing Request Form to Chris Chellberg, Associate Director of Total Rewards, at [email protected].
- Respond to any questions from the staffing committee.
- The outcome of the Staffing Committee Process will be communicated by Chris Chellberg, Associate Director for Total Rewards.
Stetson utilizes SilkRoad as our recruiting software. Human Resources grants access to this platform for hiring managers and recruiters which they access through their MyStetson page.
- Upon approval from the Staffing Committee, the hiring manager/recruiter will receive a communication from Chris Chellberg, Associate Director for Total Rewards, regarding the position grade, classification and other pertinent information for posting.
- Please complete the SilkRoad Posting Form. This form provides our employment team with the necessary information to post your position, along with qualifying and/or disqualifying questions to help identify the best candidates.
- Our employment team will post the position (within three business days) and the hiring manager and recruiter will receive an automated e-mail confirmation that the position is posted.
- HR will then send a "Next Steps" e-mail providing the information in Step 4.
All positions are posted on our Stetson Careers website. If you wish to recruit on other industry-specific platforms, please consult with our Employment Specialist, Anh Nguyen, [email protected]. We also encourage departments to have employees post to social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.) and other networking distribution lists, as applicable.
Navigating SilkRoad Platform: Use this guide to assist in navigating the SilkRoad recruitment platform.
- First Round Interviews: As you review and select applicants for first-round interviews, we encourage you to use our SparkHire one-way video interview platform. SparkHire is a free-to-you, web-based program which allows you to complete the first round of interviews without having to worry about scheduling interviews. Candidates appreciate the flexibility of this platform because they can complete the interview on their own schedule. We encourage you to use this to create efficiency in your search. Please complete the SparkHire Interview Form to set up the questions you wish to ask and identify the candidates for your first-round interviews. If you have questions about this, please reach out to [email protected] and we will set up a meeting to show you how simple and effective this tool can be.
- Potential Candidates Complete Full Application (E-Form): Once the Hiring Manager identifies the candidates moving forward, they must e-mail this list to Anh Nguyen, [email protected]. The full application includes additional important information such as employment history and references.
- Complete Interviews and Select Candidate: After reviewing the E-Form applications and completing the second and/or third round interviews, the hiring manager will identify the Top Candidate(s) on SilkRoad.
- Complete Reference Forms: Once you have identified the Top Candidate(s), perform at least two reference checks. (The candidate's references' contact information is available on their SilkRoad E-Form application.)
Once the final candidate is chosen and the Reference Forms completed, the Top Candidate is moved to "Reference Check Completed" in SilkRoad.
This stage of the New Hire process requires two-way communication with the HR Team prior to any offer being extended.
Prior to making a verbal offer, please email Chris Chellberg ([email protected]) with the candidate’s name, attached reference forms, and the offer you would like to make. Chris will assist in approving the candidate and salary offer amount based on classification, experience, internal equity and market data.
Written Offer Extended:
After the verbal offer is accepted and the Reference Form completed, email Chris Chellberg, providing the name, email address, supervisor, pay, expected hours/week, if employee will require an MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) check due to required use of university or personal vehicles for work, and anticipated start date. This information will be used to initiate the onboarding process which includes creation of the offer letter. The offer letter is sent to the candidate for signature.
After the final candidate has accepted the offer of employment, the HR Team will initiate the clearance and onboarding process with the assistance of the hiring manager and other university colleagues. We encourage the supervisor and/or hiring manager to continue communication as the employee navigates the onboarding process.
HR Notification of Verbal Offer Accepted
The following items are completed concurrently upon HR notification of approved verbal offer. Supervisor is included in e-mail outreach with the candidate.
- Offer Letter: Offer letter is sent to candidate with job description included. Candidate will sign and return offer letter (with job description included) to Human Resources via [email protected].
- MVR Check (if applicable): If the employee will be driving a university-owned, leased, or rented vehicle, or who will regularly drive their personal vehicle on behalf of the university, or transport students for university functions, they will need to complete an Authorization for Release of Driving Record.
- Background Check: HR will initiate a background check for the identified candidate through the University background check provider, Accurate. An email will be sent to the candidate from Accurate with instructions to complete their portion of the process. The background check process typically takes 2-4 days but can take longer given outside factors (multiple past addresses, international residency, etc.). Background checks are reviewed by HR on a case-by-case basis.
- HR Initiates RedCarpet Onboarding: RedCarpet Onboarding is a New Hire Dashboard where the new employee will complete their employment forms (I-9, W-4, direct deposit, etc.) The new employee should complete these forms prior to their first day of work as a Hatter.
Employee ID Number Created
The supervisor and hiring manager will be notified when the background check (and MVR) is complete. At this time, the employee's ID number is issued and sent to the hiring manager. The hiring manager should then complete the Personnel Action Form (PAF), receive approval from appropriate dean, vice president, or athletic director and then send it to [email protected]
New Employee Checklist
The hiring department should quickly begin the below checklist to maximize execution time for impacted departments.
Information Technology Needs:
- Submit New Employee Request for Services Form for IT needs (phone, e-mail, Banner access, shared drive access, etc.).
- E-mail [email protected] for new or current workstation (computer, monitor, printer/copier connections, etc.) to be setup.
- Add new employee to any appropriate Microsoft Teams groups.
- Add employee to internally maintained applications (Raiser’s Edge, Slate, etc.).
Ensure any files or other unnecessary supplies/equipment have been removed from previous incumbent.
Submit work orders for custodial or maintenance needs to ensure the space is clean and fully functional for your new employee.
Determine what access needs the employee will need and submit appropriate requests.
- Key requests can be made by completing this Key Request Form (form requires sign-in in upper right corner) and submission of signed form through a work order (School Dude).
- ID Swipe card access can be requested through Public Safety: [email protected]
Provide the employee with the appropriate tools for them to succeed. Some helpful links are below.
- Office Supplies
- Office Furniture: Contact Valinda Wimer ([email protected])
- Purchasing Card: Contact Valinda Wimer ([email protected])
- Office Signage: Contact Building Manager
- Business Cards: Email [email protected]
- Name Badges
Make sure the employee has been added to the appropriate distribution lists and ongoing departmental and/or other team meetings.
If applicable, add the employee to the appropriate list-servs, distribution lists and professional organizations.
A member or member(s) of the team should escort the new employee throughout the day, so they do not get or feel lost. Remember, this is often an exhausting and overwhelming day for a new employee, so it is important to provide breaks and recognize they might not retain all information provided to them on day one. If planning a full first day schedule, remember to include breaks and time for the employee to organize and digest the information.
- Opportunity to settle into their workspace (and retrieve the I-9 ID documents they will need for HR).
- Stop by the Human Resources office to complete their Federal Verification of Employment Form (I-9). They will need to bring their original I-9 acceptable documents with them to the office. We will not be able to accept expired documents or unofficial copies of documents. When they arrive to HR, they will also receive a welcome folder and their Employee ID (if picture submitted in RedCarpet Onboarding). Supervisor can make an appointment by e-mailing [email protected].
- New Employees in need of an ID (and who have not previously submitted their picture) will stop by the ID office in the Welcome Center.
- Introduction of work colleagues and tour of building (include restrooms).
- Meet with supervisor to review job description.
- Make sure their technology works at their workstation and submit any support tickets as necessary.
- Have employee login to MyStetson and make sure necessary applications appear based on their role (ex. Employee Dashboard, Banner, Canvas, Dynamic Forms, etc.).
- Ensure their access to any necessary Microsoft Teams and explain how to use the platform (if necessary).
- Identify a colleague or peer to develop a connection and act as a support for the employee.
- Provide the employee with an overview of how their training and orientation will proceed.
- Ensure employee knows when they should go on lunch/break (as appropriate). Ideally someone might join them for lunch if possible on the first day.
After the Hatter Welcome, it is time to get down to business and help the new team member acclimate to Stetson. This plan might include:
- Benefits meeting: If employee is eligible, set up a Benefits meeting for employee with Rashmi Mazzarella within first two weeks of employment. Schedule the meeting here.
- Schedule introductions and/or meetings with key campus collaborators and constituents.
- Make sure the employee is invited to all department meetings, committees, or events (as necessary).
- Introduce employee to office culture and logistics (ex. on Fridays we wear green, any departmental recognitions/awards, shredding company picks up weekly on Tuesdays, how office might celebrate achievements, birthdays, holidays, Hatterversaries, etc.)
- Introduce employee to Stetson applications/need-to-knows like: SchoolDude, Timesheet/Leave Reporting, Green Pages, Stetson Announce, Event Request System, IT Support, WebGarage, Public Safety, etc.
- Schedule 30-day check-in with their supervisor.
- Schedule 90-day review with employee with MyStetson Performance Appraisal tool, prior to probation period ending.
We are here to help!
Please contact the following team members directly with questions specific to:
- SilkRoad, RedCarpet, Background Checks and Recruitment - Anh Nguyen
- Staffing Committee, Job Classifications and Offers - Chris Chellberg
- Benefits - Rashmi Mazzarella
As always, we welcome your feedback. If you feel there is anything missing on this page, or you need additional support, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected].