Urayoán Noel, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor, M.F.A. of the Americas
Urayoán Noel was born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico, lives in the Bronx, and is an associate professor of English and Spanish at NYU. As a poet, Noel is the author of Buzzing Hemisphere/Rumor Hemisfe'rico (Arizona, 2015), a Library Journal Top Fall Indie Poetry selection; Hi-Density Politics (BlazeVox, 2010), a National Book Critics Circle Small Press Highlights selection; Kool Logic/La Lo'gica Kool (Bilingual Review, 2005), an El Nuevo Día Book of the Year; and several books mostly in Spanish, most recently the performance text EnUncIAdOr (Educacio'n Emergente, 2014). Other works include the DVD Kool Logic Sessions (Bilingual Review, 2005), a collaboration with composer Monxo Lo'pez; the artist's book/performance/website The Edgemere Letters (2011), a collaboration with artist Martha Clippinger; and the critical study In Visible Movement: Nuyorican Poetry from the Sixties to Slam (Iowa, 2014), winner of the LASA Latina/o Studies Book Award and recipient of an honorable mention in the MLA Prize in Latina/o and Chicana/o Literary and Cultural Studies. A contributing editor of NACLA Report on the Americas and Obsidian: Literature & Arts in the African Diaspora, Noel has received fellowships from the Ford Foundation, the Howard Foundation, the Bronx Council on the Arts, and CantoMundo, and is currently completing a bilingual edition of the poems of Pablo de Rokha. See more at urayoannoel.bandcamp.com and at wokitokiteki.com, a bilingual, improvisational poetry vlog.
- Ph.D., Spanish, New York University
- M.A., Spanish, Stanford University
- B.A., English, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras
- Poetry in the Expanded Field
- Poetry and poetics of the Americas
- U.S. Latin: literatures and cultures
- Media and performance studies
- The Caribbean and its diasporas
- Modernisms and avant-gardes
- Translation studies
- Creative writing
- Buzzing Hemisphere/Rumor Hemisfe'rico (poetry). Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 2015.
- In Visible Movement: Nuyorican Poetry from the Sixties to Slam. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2014.
- EnUncIAdOr (poetry). Cabo Rojo, PR: Editora Educacio'n Emergente, 2014.
Los días porosos (poetry). Guatemala: Catafixia Editorial, 2012. (2nd ed. San Juan: Atarraya Cartonera, 2014.)
- Hi-Density Politics (poetry). Buffalo: BlazeVox Books, 2010.
- Boringke'n (poetry, with CD). San Juan: Ediciones Callejo'n/La Tertulia, 2008.
- Kool Logic/La lo'gica kool (poetry). Tempe: Bilingual Press, 2005.