History of Stetson University
More information is available at the university's online archives.
Stetson University entered a new era of leadership on July 13, 2009 when Dr. Wendy B. Libby became the ninth president in Stetson University's history and the first woman to hold the post. Before coming to Stetson, Libby was president of Stephens College, the nation's second-oldest women's institution, for six years.
The university opens its second satellite location, the Tampa Law Center in Tampa, Fla.
The Eugene M. and Christine Lynn Business Center becomes the first building in Florida to be certified as a green building by the U.S. Green Building Council under its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (L.E.E.D.) Green Building Rating System (TM).
The university opens the Center at Celebration in Celebration, Fla., Osceola County's first university campus.
Stetson University was the first educational institution to receive a Year 2000 Sustainable Florida Award honoring the university's implementation efforts and community involvement with recycling and energy conservation.
The Hollis Center opens. The Hollis Center was built to serve as a student athletic and recreation center, complete with a fitness gym, field house for intramural sports and recreation room. The center was built to incorporate the pre-existing swimming pool as a feature of the facility. The center's name honors the Hollis family. Four generations of the Hollis family have been involved in the life of Stetson University. In addition to funding the Hollis Center, trustee emeritus Mark Hollis and his wife, Lynn, also have established student scholarships and endowed chairs for health and wellness.
After a long relationship, Stetson University formally ends its affiliation with the Florida Baptist Convention.
H. Douglas Lee is named the university's eighth president. Under his leadership, various buildings were added to campus, including Griffith Hall, the Hollis Center, the Wilson Athletic Center, the Lynn Business Center, new dormitories, the Hand Art Center, McMahan Hall and the Rinker Environmental Learning Center. Highlights of the Lee administration include the $200 million dollar fund campaign, the opening of the Center at Celebration, the construction of Melching Field at Conrad Park (a state-of-the-art baseball stadium), the expansion and renovation of both the duPont-Ball Library and Sage Hall, the inauguration of the Institute for Christian Ethics and the Howard Thurman Program (established to integrate the works of scholars and community leaders to seek solutions to social, religious and ethnic problems) and the creation of the University Values Council.
Stetson University becomes the first private college in the State of Florida to host a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest honor society.
Stetson University's Model U.S. Senate was founded by political science professor T. Wayne Bailey and then-political science student John Fraser. It is the nation's oldest collegiate-level model Senate.
The Stetson Law Review is first published.
The university's swimming pool opens. President Paul Geren inaugurates the new pool by jumping on the ceremonial ribbon into the water fully clothed.
Students, faculty, and staff carried the entire contents of the old Sampson Library (over 100,000 materials) into the new duPont-Ball Library. Students were asked to help move books for one hour, but many were so enthusiastic that they stayed the entire day.
Stetson University becomes the first private, non-HBCU university in Florida to integrate. Nine African-American teachers attended graduate summer school in 1962. Cornelius Hunter (pictured), the university's first African-American undergraduate student, graduated in 1966. George Williams Sr. was the first African-American to earn a degree from Stetson University- a master's degree in guidance and counseling in 1964.
The university purchases a massive Beckerarth Organ for use in the Elizabeth Hall Chapel. 56 crates were shipped from Hamburg, Germany, to DeLand, where three men from the organ workshop spent two months assembling it in place. Rudolph von Beckerath came to DeLand after the assembly was completed, to perform the voicing of the 2,548 pipes in the instrument. In 1992, a new case for the organ was built and, in 2004, the organ was cleaned and improved with the addition of a new console and pedal board. The organ's 50th anniversary was observed with a two-day celebration in 2011.
The Board of Trustees votes to end the football program. Over time, with shifting priorities and student attitudes, the program had lost its prominence. Most of the schools the university had played had either abandoned their programs or grown too large to compete against. The final football game was played in 1956 against the University of Havana. Though the times had changed, they would change again, as football returned to Stetson University in the fall of 2013. Pictured is the university's 1957 football team.
The university's geography department is introduced and is the first geography program in Florida. The university began its affiliation with Gamma Theta Upsilon, the international geography honor society, in the same year.
Sept. 20, 1954- Stetson University College of Law moves to Gulfport, Fla., from its inaugural home in Flagler Hall at the DeLand campus.
In 1951, the Holler Fountain was installed as the centerpiece of Stetson's Quadrangle, bounded by Elizabeth Hall, Sampson Hall and the formerly-present Stetson and Holmes Halls. The Art Deco style fountain was built in Central Florida in 1937 for the Florida exhibit at the Great Lakes Exposition in Cleveland, and was also featured in the Florida display at the 1939-1940 World's Fair in New York. Lawns, benches and walkways surround Holler Fountain. It is a common meeting place on campus and classes are often held outdoors nearby. It is also used for student activities, concerts and outdoor university receptions.
The School of Music is established as Florida's first collegiate school of music.
William Sims Allen is named as president. Allen graduated from Baylor University and earned advanced degrees from Columbia University. Allen returned to Baylor where he served as vice president and chairman of the school of education prior to coming to Stetson at age 46. Although Allen coped with the challenges of the Depression years and World War II, Stetson grew from a few hundred students to 2,000 during his time in office. In order to deal with the rapid growth, Allen initiated a program of expansion that included establishing separate schools for the disciplines of music and business. The physical campus also grew during this period and higher academic standards were put in place. The Allen inaugural address was carried over the first Florida statewide radio transmission.
Stover Theatre opens. A masonry vernacular one-and-a-half-story building, Stover Theatre was built for the oldest collegiate theatrical company in the South. Originally called Assembly Hall, because Florida churchmen complained about the university's building of a "theatre," it was renamed Stover Theatre in 1938 to honor Stetson professor Dr. Irving Stover, who was head of the speech department from 1908-1964. He died in 1965, and is rumored to haunt the building.
Cummings Gymasium is erected. It was the second gymnasium built by the university. The first, a small wooden structure, now demolished, was said to be the earliest college gym in Florida. Two other gym facilities, the Edmunds Center (1974) and the Hollis Center (1998), have made Cummings obsolete as a gymnasium.
Sampson Hall opens. Built at a cost of $40,000, Sampson Hall was financed by steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, with a matching gift of $40,000 from Elizabeth S. Stetson, wife of John B. Stetson, for endowment. Designed by Henry John Klutho, the first Floridian to earn membership in the American Institute of Architects, it shows the conservative Neoclassicism found in many Carnegie libraries across the United States. It was later renamed Sampson Hall to honor C.T. Sampson, a university trustee, who had contributed over the years to Stetson's library fund and left an additional $20,000 for a library endowment when he died in 1893. Stetson University was the first university in Florida to employ a full-time librarian.
Stetson University College of Law becomes the first law school in Florida to admit women. Florida's first female lawyer graduated from the College of Law in 1908. Pictured is the College of Law's class of 1916.
Lincoln Hulley is named president of the university. Hulley had the longest tenure of any Stetson president to date, and guided the university through the World War I and Depression years. Hulley graduated from Bucknell University and went on to Harvard for post-graduate study. He returned to teach history at Bucknell and from there came to Stetson at age 39 to become president. Hulley was considered a great orator and was a prolific author and playwright. He composed a number of original plays for production by Stetson theater students. While serving as president of Stetson University, he served two terms in the Florida State Senate starting in 1918. The student body grew to 500 during his time in office and accreditation was obtained from leading accrediting agencies. New buildings during the Hulley years included Stover Theatre, a Carnegie Library (now Sampson Hall), Conrad Hall, Cummings Gymnasium, Hulley Gymnasium, and the original Commons building (which later burned down over Christmas break 1954/1955). Lincoln Hulley died in office in 1934.
Flagler Hall opens. The building was financed by railway magnate Henry M. Flagler, who required the university to keep his $60,000 gift a secret, for fear other institutions would ask him for money. After his death in 1913, the three-story classroom building was renamed in his honor. Flagler himself dictated its Mediterranean style, which he used for several other projects in St. Augustine and Palm Beach. Flared foundation walls, brick courses defining each story, brick surrounds on the second story arched window openings and terra cotta cast Mediterranean ornamentation are major features. The main entrance features a broken pediment and bust of Benjamin Franklin in an elaborate arch surround of cast terra cotta. On the second story, over the entrance, is a recessed balcony with ornamented terra cotta columns, and over the third is a monumental tablet breaking the roofline.
Oct. 2, 1900- Stetson University College of Law, Florida's first law school, is founded.
The business school curriculum is established. Stetson University's School of Business Administration is the oldest in Florida.
Nov. 29, 1894- Stetson played its first football game (an intramural game) in front of hundreds of onlookers.
DeLand University is renamed to John B. Stetson University.
The Stetson Reporter, Florida's first college newspaper, is published for the first time.
DeLand College is chartered by the Florida State Legislature as DeLand University.
Stetson Hall (pictured) is completed and is the second building on campus. Built at a cost of $12,000, Stetson Hall opened with a furnace and running water on all three floors. The first floor contained offices, a dining room, a kitchen, a room for the preceptress who had charge of building and living quarters for the university's first president, John F. Forbes, and his family, who stayed in the building until 1903. Stetson Hall may have been Florida's first co-ed residence hall.
DeLand Academy renamed to DeLand College.
John F. Forbes (pictured) is named as the first president of DeLand College. Forbes, who was personally selected by Henry A. DeLand, was president of the university until 1904. Forbes graduated from Rochester University and was a former professor at the State Normal school in Brockport, N.Y.; he was 32 when he assumed the office of president. He received a starting salary of $2,000 a year plus room and board for himself and his family. Enrollment grew from 88 students to almost 300 during President Forbes' tenure and a number of buildings were constructed, including Stetson Hall, Chaudoin Hall, Elizabeth Hall, Flagler Hall and the residence of the president.
Oct. 13, 1884- DeLand Hall (pictured) opens. The original cost of the building was $4,000. The first academic building at the DeLand campus, DeLand Hall today is the oldest building in Florida in continuous use for higher education.
Nov. 5, 1883- Henry A. DeLand and Dr. John H. Griffith inaugurate DeLand Academy in a lecture room of the First Baptist Church in DeLand, Fla. Pictured is the DeLand Academy's first bulletin (the document that today is called the "Stetson University Catalog").