Crime Prevention and Resources
If you are in danger or feel threatened, call 911 or contact Campus Public Safety
If You Witness a Crime
- In the case of an emergency, call 911 to report the incident to the police. Otherwise, call Campus Public Safety.
- If you observe a person committing a crime, do not block their avenue of escape. Instead, get a good description of the person, note their direction of travel and obtain vehicle information, if pertinent.
- Do not follow the person. Let the person leave the scene. If followed, the person may panic and cause you harm.
Tips for Personal Safety
- Do not let people into a locked building or office unless you work with them or they have been properly identified. If the person gives you any problems, call Campus Public Safety.
- In the event that a suspicious person is seen roaming around, or suspicious calls are received, contact Campus Public Safety immediately.
- Always keep the door to your room locked.
- Don't investigate a suspicious person or noise outside by yourself.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers with you.
- Know the locations of the nearest blue light emergency phone.
- Never walk alone at night. Walk in an alert and confident manner and actively pay attention to your surroundings.
- You may call Campus Public Safety for an escort to locations on campus or to your vehicle.
- Choose the best-lit, most-traveled paths when walking.
- Take a self-defense course.
- Emergency: 911
- Emergency from a campus phone: 911
- Public Safety (non-emergency):
Deland Campus 386-822-7300
Gulfport Campus 727-343-1262
- Safe Ride Escorts: 386-822-7300 (DeLand Campus only)