Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Brea Hilaire, PhD, LMHC, earned her doctorate from the University of Central Florida. Brea has expertise in working with juvenile offenders, students in college settings and adults in underserved communities. Her clinical experience informs her research interests, which center around enacting positive change in populations affected by trauma, suicide and crisis.
- PhD, University of Central Florida
- MA, Rollins College
- BS, Jacksonville University
Breahannah Hilaire, PhD, is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Clinical Supervisor. She completed her master's degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Rollins College, is a Nationally Certified Counselor and holds certificates in Clinical Hypnosis and University and College Counseling. Her clinical experience informs her research interests, which center around enacting positive change in populations affected by trauma, suicide and crisis. In addition to her counselor role, she enjoys teaching graduate students.
More About Breahannah Hilaire
Areas of Expertise
- Crisis assessment and intervention
- Adolescent mental health
- College student development and mental health
- Family Systems
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Trauma and crisis intervention
- Suicide among adolescents and young adults
- Hilaire, B., Campbell, L.O., Kelchner, V. P., Laguardia, E., & Howard, C. C. (2022). Not another school shooting:
Media, race, and gun violence in K-12 schools. Education and Urban Society.
- Wright, G.G., Herbert, L., Hilaire, B., & Campbell, L.O., (2021). Unemployment during COVID-19: Exploring
perspectives of unemployment among minimal resource communities. The Career Development Quarterly.
- Howard, C., Kelchner, V.P., Hilaire, B., Campbell, L.O., & Laguardia, E.D. (2021) District implementation of active
shooter drill policies. Criminal Justice Policy Review.
- Campbell, L.O., Hilaire, B., Laguardia, E., Howard, C., & Kelchner, V.P. (2022). Exploring higher education students
perceptions of safety on campus. Journal of Threat Assessment and Management.