Artists and Lecturers Series
Hip. Avant garde. Traditional.
Classic. Vibrant. Dicey.
Playful. Pointed. Joyful.
Stetson University's Artists and Lecturers Series is dedicated to bringing to campus an exciting cast of speakers and performers. The series sponsors these events partially or in full. As a result of this series, many renowned artists and speakers have visited the DeLand campus, including:
- In 2003, Carl Hiaasen shared his wit and wisdom regarding Florida's most outrageous political, environmental and comical transgressions.
- Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley brought his Clinch Mountain Boys to Stetson University in 2004 after introducing thousands of new fans to the genre via the critically acclaimed film O, Brother, Where Art Thou?
- In 2006, the fresh voice of author and commentator Sarah Vowell, familiar to NPR listeners everywhere as a frequent guest on This American Life graced our halls. The audience was treated to a reading and commentary from Assassination Vacation and A Partly Cloudy Patriot as well as recent op-ed pieces she wrote for The New York Times. Sarah delighted the crowd with her insightful and honest responses during a lively question and answer session following the reading.
- In 2007, Venezuelan pianist David Ascanio and Latin Grammy-winning jazz flutist Nestor Torres brought their smooth, global sounds to appreciate audiences.
- In 2008, several campus organizations came together to sponsor a lecture by Judy Shepard, who delivered a thought-provoking talk to a crowd of hundreds. She is the mother of Matthew Shepard, whose life and death have become symbols against hate.
- Another milestone 2008 event, again sponsored by several campus organizations, was a lecture by playwright Eve Ensler, author of The Vagina Monologues.
The Artists and Lecturers Committee
The Artists and Lecturers Committee supports events organized by faculty, staff and students with the goal of enriching the university's academic program while enriching the cultural experiences of the campus and local communities. Committee members include the following: