Internships provide the opportunity for a transformational experiential learning process that allows students to apply classroom learning to real-world settings. During the internship process, many students solidify their post-graduation plans and make important professional connections that lead to full-time employment.
While you can view the full academic policies for academic internships, the most important piece is that the internship is a faculty-guided experience that empowers students to utilize knowledge and theory learned in the classroom in a professional setting.
Below are the steps for Internship Course Instructors to follow when assisting students with registering for an academic internship course. While the majority of departments use this process, please note that there may be some slight variations for specific majors. For any questions, please contact Christine Arias, Assistant Director, Internships, at 386-822-7383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps to Initiate Academic Internship Course Registration
- Review the student’s Internship Pre-Approval Form
- It is at the discretion of each department to approve or deny an internship to earn academic credit within their specific major/minor program
- If approved, log-in to MyStetson to submit a Permission of Instructor (PI) override
- Student registers for the internship course through MyStetson, as they would for any other academic course
- Once registered, the student will receive an automatic e-mail with instructions on how to finalize their internship course registration
Steps to Finalize Academic Course Registration
- Internship Course Instructor receives an automatic e-mail notification when the student submits an online Academic Internship Application through MyStetson. This automatic email includes a link to access the application for review.
- Review to approve/deny the Academic Internship Application - If denied, the student may make suggested changes and resubmit for Internship Course Instructor review
- Once the Internship Course Instructor approves the Academic Internship Application, the Department Chair will receive an automatic e-mail notification to review and approve/deny the Academic Internship Application
- After both parties approve the Academic Internship Application, the Internship Course Instructor, Site Supervisor, and Student will receive a final automatic e-mail notification prompting them to review and sign the Internship Learning Agreement
When assisting students with internship course registration, please refer them to the Student Academic Internship webpage where they can access information specific to their internship registration process.
All of the academic internship course registration requirements must be completed by the Internship Registration Deadline for each semester, as noted on the Academic Calendar (DeLand Campus) or students risk being administratively withdrawn from their internship course.
Evaluations of academic internships are available for both students and internship site supervisors. These evaluations are provided as templates for Faculty Internship Instructors. Each evaluation can be customized per departmental needs.