Academic Internship Course Registration - Students
Have you secured an internship? Do you know that you can earn academic credit for internships related to your studies?
To receive academic credit for an internship, students must complete the Academic Internship Course Registration. This comes in two phases: (1) Initiating Academic Internship Course Registration and (2) Finalizing Academic Internship Course Registration. Follow the steps below to enroll in an academic internship course. Click here for a visual representation of the steps.
How to Initiate Academic Internship Course Registration
Once you have secured an internship, please follow the steps below to enroll in an Academic Internship Course while you participate in your internship. This Academic Internship Course is offered by your academic major/Department, for example, MKTG 397 for marketing and PSYC 297V for psychology.
- Identify the faculty member teaching the internship course related to your studies by conducting a Class Search for the desired semester. (We will refer to this faculty member as the Faculty Internship Course Instructor.) Select “Internship” from the Interdisciplinary Programs drop-down list. If you do not see a particular course listed, contact Career and Professional Development at [email protected].
- Meet with your Faculty Internship Course Instructor to request academic credit for your internship and learn about course requirements. It is important to prepare for this meeting using the Academic Internship Guide. Your Faculty Internship Course Instructor will want to know about the details of your experience and your learning objectives.
- If your Faculty Internship Course Instructor approves your internship for academic credit, ask them for a Permission of Instructor override, which will allow you to register for the appropriate internship course.
- Register for the course through myStetson, as you do for all other academic courses.
How to Finalize Academic Internship Course Registration
After you have enrolled in your Academic Internship Course, you will receive an email from Career and Professional Development with instructions for completing the following steps. You can access the forms and track your progress through the One-Stop tab in myStetson.
- Complete an Internship Orientation, which will be offered live on campus, live via Zoom, and asynchronously in Canvas. After you have enrolled in your internship course, you will receive an email with instructions for completing the Internship Orientation. Click here to learn more about Internship Orientation.
- Submit your Academic Internship Application in myStetson. Your application will need to be approved by both your Faculty Internship Course Instructor and your Department Chair.
- Sign the Internship Learning Agreement. Once your application has been approved by your Faculty Internship Course Instructor and your Department Chair, you will receive an email prompting you to sign the Learning Agreement. Note: Your Instructor and Site Supervisor will also receive an email prompting them to sign the Learning Agreement.
- Complete the Liability Waiver, which you will find in myStetson.
- COVID-Related: If your internship is off-campus, then complete and return to CaPD the Acknowledgement of Risk Form Off-Campus Education Experiences (COVID Risk Form). This form will be emailed to you.
All these requirements must be completed by the Internship Course Registration Deadline for each semester as noted on the Academic Calendar (DeLand Campus). Students who miss this deadline risk being administratively dropped from their internship course.
For general questions, please contact Career and Professional Development at 386-822-7315 or email [email protected]. For specific questions regarding academic internships, please email Dr. Carolyn Meeker at [email protected].