Credit Hours: 3-4
Overseeing Professor: Christine E. Cerniglia
About The Program
This program allows students to obtain credit for performing legal work and educational activities at approved placements that fall outside the scope of preexisting clinic and externship programs. Students will perform legal work such as research and writing, reviewing documents, conducting investigations, drafting documents, and observing legal proceedings. Additionally, students will submit guided reflections and work product assignments, and actively participate in academic activities assigned by the overseeing professor. Paid or private law firm placements are not permitted.
Established Placement Opportunities
- Conviction Review Unit - State Attorney's Office, Thirteenth Judicial Circuit
- Federal Public Defender, Middle District of Florida (Tampa)
- ACLU (Tampa)
Students may still secure their own placements and apply for credit consideration. The above listed placements have previously established hosting relationships with the Department and rely on the Department to oversee the externship application process.
- 42.5 hours per semester for each credit hour awarded
- Classes and/or individual conferences will meet every Monday throughout the session or semester
- Weekly timesheet
- Four reflective papers over the course of the semester