Veterans Financial Aid Resources

If you are or have been a member of the military, you or your dependents may qualify for financial assistance from your military branch or service-connected associations. Active duty members and retirees should contact their branch's payroll department for information about financial assistance and relief societies within their branches. U.S. veterans are eligible to participate in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits Program.

Stetson University participates in the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans (CSDDV).

Current Benefits

Stetson University participates in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits Programs. The Office of Financial Aid coordinates enrollment verification with the Office of the Registrar and submits the appropriate forms. Current VA programs are as follows:

Please note that any scholarship provided by Stetson University (academic, talent or athletic) will be applied toward tuition and fees.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), Stetson University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9-11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. Stetson University will not:

  • Prevent the student's enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

Getting Started

We require that you complete the Veterans Benefits Request form every year. This form should be submitted to Stetson University's Office of Financial Aid along with a certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-0557) or award letter (VA Form 20-8993). Once we have received this form, we will notify the VA regional office of your enrollment.

First-Time Benefits Recipients

Students applying for benefits for the first time must complete a VA Request for Benefits Form along with the forms specified above.

If You Transfer to Stetson University

Students who have received benefits at another institution and who are applying for benefits at Stetson University for the first time must complete a VA Change of Program/Place of Training Form.

If You Have Changed Majors or Degrees

Students who have changed majors or degrees since the university's last certified enrollment must also complete a VA Change of Program/Place of Training Form.

Apply on VA Website

Enrollment Requirements

The following enrollment requirements apply to students seeking VA benefits:

  • The courses taken must meet degree requirements.
  • For full-time funding, undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester; graduate students must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester. The summer session pay rate is determined by the combination of credit hours and length of classes.
  • If you decide to change your course load after your enrollment has been certified, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately as the amount of your benefits may be affected.
  • All recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the Stetson University Catalog.
  • You must declare a major by the time you have earned 60 credit hours.
  • If you wish to add a second major or degree, you must request a list of VA requirements for approval three weeks prior to certification of enrollment for the next year.
  • If you plan to take an independent study course during the next academic year, Stetson University must request and receive approval from the VA's state-approving agency before the enrollment certification can occur.
  • If you plan to attend another college or university during the summer and use VA benefits, you must first receive approval from the Office of Financial Aid, which must sign the Transient Student Form.
  • It is the responsibility of those receiving benefits to inform their respective VA Certifying Official of any changes in their academic career immediately. Failure to do so may result in a temporary interruption of benefits.