Christian Legal Society
A growing nationwide fellowship of Christian lawyers and law students who actively pursue justice in the name of Christ, while humbly serving their community and its needs
For more information contact [email protected].
Conversations in the Courtyard - SBA Diversity Week
As a part of the Student Bar Association's annual Diversity Week, CLS hosts a monthly series entitled "Conversations in the Courtyard," which invites local area attorneys and pastors to address issues relating to faith and professional calling. During diversity week, CLS co-hosted an interfaith discussion with the Jewish Law Student Association, including included a Jewish attorney, Episcopalian priest and former JAG attorney, and Islamic attorney.
At the end of each semester, CLS hosts an attorney roundtable that provides local Christian attorneys and students a chance to interact. In Spring 2009, the event was co-sponsored by the Immigration Law Student Association and the Hispanic Bar Association. Part of the event included a presentation by Frank Valladares, an immigration attorney in St. Petersburg, who operates Project Child. Project Child is an organization that provides physical, medical and spiritual care to the orphaned and disabled children of the Dominican Republic.
Links and Resources
- Church List - Information about churches in Gulfport, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Seminole, Largo, and Brandon (DOC)
- Christian Legal Society - National organization website; student membership application available online and provides resources for both students and attorneys.Also, check out a new resource for law students, Cross & Gavel here and here.
- Advocates International - Sister organization of CLS that supports issues of human rights and religious freedom worldwide.
- International Justice Mission - Agency that provides Summer Legal Internship opportunity for those interested in international human rights work within a Christian context
- Project Child - Local aid organization that CLS has worked with to raise awareness about their work with children in the Dominican Republic
- Bible Gateway - Online, searchable Bible with various translations