Immigration Law Clinic
5 Credit Hours
(variable option 3-5 credits during COVID-19 pandemic)
Students in this program are placed with the Immigration Unit of Gulfcoast Legal Services, a non-profit legal aid organization. The Immigration Unit assists persons who are immigrant victims of crime with a focus on domestic violence. Students perform duties associated with Violence Against Women Act self-petitions, U visas for victims of crime, and T visas for victims of human trafficking; representing persons in asylum, withholding of removal, and Convention Against Torture claims; as well as an unaccompanied immigrant children project for children present in the United States without legal status and without parents. Students are involved in all aspects of case preparation and management, including Immigration Court representation. However, most cases are argued through written advocacy. Students work alongside staff and are expected to spend as much time as possible in the office working under sometimes stressful deadlines and difficult circumstances.Placement Location:
• Gulfcoast Legal Services (St. Petersburg Office or Bradenton Office, student may be placed in either office, or split time between each office, depending on space available and the need of the office)Program Requirements:
• 213 hours (fall and spring), not offered in the summer
• Weekly classroom component;
• Multiple reflective papers.
• Successful completion of all first year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing; and
• Successful completion of Professional Responsibility;
• Successful completion of an immigration-related law course (preferred);
• Successful completion of Evidence (preferred);
• Successful completion of Trial Advocacy (preferred); and
• No legal employment or volunteering without prior approval of the hosting organization.Application Requirements:
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, visit our Clinics and Externships page).
IMPORTANT NOTE: This clinic is not offered in the summer.