3 or 4 Credit Hours
Christine Cerniglia, Assistant Professor of Law & Director of Clinical and Experiential Education
Access the Individual Externship Application (Word Doc).
This program allows students to obtain credit for performing legal work and educational activities at approved placements that fall outside the scope of preexisting clinic and externship programs. Students will perform legal work such as research and writing, reviewing documents, conducting investigations, drafting documents, and observing legal proceedings. Additionally, students will submit guided reflections and work product assignments, and actively participate in academic activities assigned by the overseeing professor. Private law firm placements are not permitted.
• 42.5 hours per semester for each credit hour awarded;
• Classes (and/or individual conferences) will meet periodically throughout the session or semester;
• Submit weekly time sheet on TWEN;
• Five reflective papers over the course of the semester
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Approval of placement by the overseeing professor; and
• Fulfill any other requirements of the hosting placement.
Application procedures and deadlines for this program do not conform to other Stetson programs. The student must secure a legal position for a government agency, a not-for-profit corporation, or legal aid organization. The student must also submit a written application to the overseeing professor and receive approval at least 30 days before the first day of classes. If approved, the overseeing professor will notify the Office of the Registrar of the student's enrollment in the program and the number of credit hours the student is expected to receive. Contact Professor Cerniglia for more information on the application procedures for this program.