Florida District Court of Appeal Externship
4 CREDIT HOURS
Lance Long, Professor of Legal Skills
Students are placed with the Florida District Court of Appeal for the Second District, in either Lakeland or Tampa. Students conduct research and draft memoranda and orders on behalf of the district judges and their staff. Students extern in court one day per week and do research and drafting a second day outside of court. This externship is especially valuable for anyone who is interested in doing appellate work upon graduation.
***Program not offered in summer semesters***
• Second District Court of Appeal, Lakeland*
• Second District Court of Appeal, Stetson University College of Law, Tampa Campus*
• 170 hours per semester (not offered in the summer)
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Have a minimum 3.25 GPA;
• Pass background check; and
• No legal employment/volunteering during externship semester, unless approved by the court.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and,
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified by the overseeing professor of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)
*Student placement is determined by the Second District Court of Appeal. Application to this program signifies that the applicant is willing to accept placement in either Tampa or Lakeland. Students who are unwilling and/or unable to accept a position in either Tampa or Lakeland are prohibited from applying for this program.