Elder and Disablity Law Externship
4 Credit Hours
Roberta Flowers, Wm. Reece Smith Jr. Distinguished Professor of Law
Students will observe hearings, examine guardianship files, review fee petitions, assist with drafting of reports and recommendations, and conduct research on issues pending before the magistrates.
• Guardianship Hearing Master (Tampa)
• Elder Abuse Prosecution Placement with the State Attorney's Office, 6th Judicial Circuit, Pinellas County.
• Bay Area Legal Services (Tampa)
• Circuit Court Trial Judge - Probate Division, 6th Judicial Circuit, Pinellas County.
• 170 hours per semester;
• 25 pages of work product;
• Weekly timesheets and detailed report; and
• Periodic meetings with overseeing professor.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Successful completion of Elder Law (preferred); and
• Pass background check.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified by the overseeing professor of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)