Family Law Externship
3 CREDIT HOURS
Cynthia H. Hawkins, Professor of Law
Working closely with their assigned supervisors, students perform a variety of family-law related work. Students perform research and writing tasks, monitor case loads, examine files, review documents, and observe courtroom and/or mediation sessions.
Bay Area Legal Services (BALS) (Tampa and St. Petersburg)
Community Law Program (St. Petersburg)
Gulfcoast Legal Services (Bradenton and St. Petersburg)
Project Patchwork (St. Petersburg)
CASA (St. Petersburg)
Heart of Adoptions, Inc. (Tampa)
Legal Aid of Manasota (Sarasota)
*Students' preferences for placement location are considered. However, Professor DeBose assigns students based on a number of factors and students may be assigned to any location listed above. If a student is unable to serve at a particular placement location, they must state their reasons in the statement of interest attached to the application.
Please note: Placements with family law judges are made through the Florida Circuit Court (Trial) externship.
• 120 hours per semester;
• Submission of detailed timesheets; and
• Submission of 10 pages of work product.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Successful completion of Professional Responsibility (may be taken contemporaneously, at professor's discretion); and
• Successful completion of Family Law (may be taken contemporaneously, at professor's discretion).
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified by the overseeing professor of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)