17th International Wildlife Law Conference
The 17th International Wildlife Law Conference will be in held in Pune, India at the Institute of Environment Education and Research, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Jan. 6-9, 2017.
» Conference Announcement
The conference is being held for the first time in Asia and is being jointly organized by Stetson University College of Law's Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy and the Institute of Environment Education and Research, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune, India, along with the Chair of International Master of Environmental Science Programme, University of Cologne, Germany.
The conference brings together wildlife law experts from governmental, non-governmental, and academic sectors. Papers are invited on the following aspects of wildlife law and policy:
- Wildlife crime and the law: International accords and treaties
- Wildlife trade: Challenges across the borders
- National policy and legal frameworks to curb wildlife trade
- Wildlife law enforcement: New approaches
- Capacity building for wildlife law enforcement
- Culture, tradition, and wildlife law
- Wildlife, traditional knowledge, biotechnology, and the law
- Urban environments and wildlife law
Papers on other topics will also be considered. The best papers will be published in a special edition of the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy.
Post Conference Tour: Kanha Tiger Reserve
Join us for an exciting field visit to Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh, part of the extremely fascinating central India tiger landscape. One of the finest wildlife areas of the world, this tiger reserve is spread across 1945 sq. kms. With varied landscapes, this region was the source of inspiration for Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. The park hosts the most famed Indian tiger with a host of other mammals and is a treasure trove for bird watchers.
Cost per person for tiger reserve tour:
- $250 USD *exclusive of airfare on twin sharing basis.
- $300 USD * exclusive of airfare on single sharing basis
- *Considering 1 USD = 67 INR
Route details for air/train booking for tiger reserve tour: Starting City – Pune; Destination City – Nagpur
Pune is well connected by air and train to Nagpur. Participants must reach airport/rail station by 7:30 a.m. Pick up from Nagpur will be organized.
For additional information, contact:
Professor Shamita Kumar
Institute of Environment Education and Research
Bharati Vidyapeeth University
Katraj-Dhankawadi, Pune 411043
Phone: +91-20-24375684, 24362155
Professor Royal C. Gardner
Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy
Stetson University Collge of Law
16th International Wildlife Law Conference
Stetson Law hosted the 16th International Wildlife Law Conference in Gulfport, Florida, on April 13-14, 2016. Speakers, students, and attendees from around the world participated in this year's conference and addressed topics such as hunting, fishing, and other impacts on wildlife, as well as connections and collaborations across multilateral environmental agreements. This year's conference was held in conjunction with the International Finals of the 20th Annual Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition and included presentations from student participants.
- Marceil Yeater, Former Chief, Legal Affairs and Trade Policy, Secretariat of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Elizabeth Gitari, Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Legal Affairs Manager, WildlifeDirect
- Dr. Lawrence E. Killmar, Zoo Director, Sr. VP Animal Science and Conservation, and Chief Zoological Officer, Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo
» Read More and View the Photo Slideshow
» View Presentation Materials - Professor Nadia B. Ahmad
» View Presentation Materials - Dr. Wil Burns
» View Presentation Materials - Professor Rommel J. Casis
» View Presentation Materials - Melissa Lewis
» View Presentation Materials - Jaclyn Lopez
» View Presentation Materials - Professor Annecoos Wiersema
» View Presentation Materials - Marceil Yeater
» View the Agenda
15th International Wildlife Law Conference
The 15th International Wildlife Law Conference was held in Granada, Spain on March 26-27, 2015. Organized by the University of Granada Faculty of Law, the European Union Action to Fight Environmental Crime (EFFACE), and Stetson University College of Law's Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy, the conference brought together wildlife law experts from the governmental, NGO, and academic sectors. The keynote speaker was Dr. Ludwig Krämer, a professor and top expert on environmental law and policy in the EU.
Other speakers covered topics such as:
- Environmental crimes and wildlife
- Perspectives on environmental prosecutions
- Science and compliance mechanisms in biodiversity agreements
- Innovative approaches to and updates on protecting wildlife and biodiversity
Co-sponsored by Stetson University College of Law, University of Granada Faculty of Law, and the European Union Action to Fight Environmental Crime (EFFACE).