In-House Counsel Externship
3 Credit Hours
(variable credits enrollments may be available during the COVID-19 pandemic)
Theresa J. Pulley Radwan, Transitional Business Administrator and Professor of Law
Students work under the direct supervision of attorneys in local business and government settings. They gain experience in drafting documents, managing outside litigation, and working within a management environment. Students also develop an appreciation of the role played by in-house counsels as well as the ethical dilemmas they face.
Because some placement locations for this program alternate their participation, students should understand that the list of placement locations below and on the list on the online application system are merely a representative sample. In the event that a student selects a placement location that ultimately chooses not to participate for a particular semester, Professor Radwan will make every attempt, within reason, to place the student in a comparable setting.
Placement Locations in Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Manatee:
• insurance and financial
• restaurant/food service
• general corporate
• sports and entertainment
• 128 hours per semester;
• Attend at least three (3) sessions of the Externship seminar, held Mondays, 4:55 p.m. - 5:55 p.m.;
• Complete 3-4 reflective papers
• individual meetings with professor; and
• 30 pages (maximum) of work product.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Successful completion of Corporations or Business Entities (may be taken concurrently or waived by professor); and one of the following courses (preferred): Commercial Transactions, Payment Systems, Sales and Leases, or Secured Transactions.
• Students who have not met both prerequisites may apply for the program. If accepted into the program, students will be expected to complete the prerequisites as co-requisites during the externship semester.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, visit our Clinics and Externships page).