State Supreme Court Externship
7/12 CREDIT HOURS
Catherine Cameron, Assistant Professor of Legal Skills
Students are assigned to either the central court office or the chambers of one of the justices of the Florida or Georgia Supreme Courts. Students work 40 hours per week, and typical duties include research and writing bench memoranda, opinions, and determinations of jurisdiction under the state constitution.
Note: Students are required to obtain their own housing. The selected student may apply for a housing stipend from the College of Law.
• Florida Supreme Court (Tallahassee)
• 298 summer, 510 hours per fall/spring semester
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses AND EVIDENCE;
• Be in good academic standing;*
• Pass background check;
• Must have received a letter of approval (sometimes called a Notice of Registrant Clearance) from The Florida Board of Bar Examiners; and
• No legal employment/volunteering during Externship semester.
• Students are selected for participation in this Externship program by the Florida Supreme Court. Application procedures and deadlines for this program do not always conform to other Stetson programs.
• Contact Professor Catherine Cameron for more information regarding application procedures for this program.
*This program is highly competitive and students must possess a strong academic record to be considered for this program.