5 CREDIT HOURS
Cynthia Batt, Associate Professor
Fred Schaub, Deputy State Attorney
Students in the Misdemeanor and Juvenile Divisions will actively participate in the criminal justice system and perform the functions of a prosecutor through all facets of prosecution, including filing charges, performing investigations, responding to discovery, and conducting jury and non-jury trials. Student in the Child Welfare Division will represent the State of Florida in civil dependency cases dealing with child abuse, abandonment and/or neglect. Students will appear in court, draft petitions and proposed orders, and attend staffings. The Child Welfare Divison works with Protective Investigators from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Case Managers from the community based care programs and Guardian ad Litems. Students will further develop core competencies in advocacy skills and substantive knowledge required to serve as assistant state attorneys through a combination of experiential learning and classroom instruction.
• 6th Judicial Circuit (Clearwater and Dade City; students select between Juvenile, Misdemeanor, and Child Welfare Divisions)
• 12th Judicial Circuit (Bradenton and Sarasota)
• 200 hours per semester;
• Weekly classroom component which meets on Mondays from 4:45-6:10 p.m. in classroom G (summer session meets at Criminal Justice Center);
• Detailed weekly report and timesheets; and
• Electronic journal entries (minimum of five).
• Successful completion of four semesters and at least 48 credit hours;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Successful completion of Professional Responsibility, Evidence, Trial Advocacy, and Criminal Procedure (Florida Criminal Procedure OR Federal Criminal Procedure); and
• Must have received a letter of approval (sometimes called a Notice of Registrant Clearance) from The Florida Board of Bar Examiners or expect to receive one at least eight weeks before participating in a clinic program.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)