Florida Circuit Court - Trial - Internship
4 Credit Hours
Catherine Cameron, Assistant Professor of Legal Skills
David Demers, Circuit Court Judge, Sixth Judicial Circuit
Watch video for details about this program.
Students are assigned to a state court judge who deals with civil, criminal, family, or probate issues. Students observe proceedings, draft memos and orders, and interact with judges and court personnel. This internship offers a unique opportunity to see life on the other side of the trial process and to get a judge's perspective on effective lawyering, motion practice, and much more. This internship is one of the best ways for students to prepare to practice law at the trial level.
• Sixth Judicial Circuit (Clearwater and St. Petersburg)
• Thirteenth Judicial Circuit (Tampa)
• 160 hours per semester;
• Online classroom component;
• 15 pages of original written work;
• Weekly journal; and
• Professionalism assignment.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Pass background check; and
• No legal employment/volunteering during internship semester.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and,
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)