Spring Commencement to be Held Outdoors at Spec Martin Stadium in May
Stetson University will host Spring 2021 Commencement outdoors at Spec Martin Memorial Stadium in May, offering more room for family and friends to attend while still providing physical distancing.
Stetson will hold three ceremonies for Undergraduate Commencement and one for Graduate Commencement between Friday evening, May 7, and Sunday morning, May 9.
The events will take place rain or shine at the stadium, located at 260 E. Euclid Ave. in DeLand. Ceremonies will be split by college or school, and are scheduled for mornings or evenings to avoid the warmer temperatures of the day.
To ensure physical distancing, undergraduates can receive up to four tickets at no charge for family and friends to attend. Graduate students can receive up to six tickets. Visit the Commencement website for more details.
“We have received a wonderful response from our Class of 2021 with 85% of our eligible students planning to attend the ceremonies in person,” said Julie Hunter, director of University Events. “This is an exciting time for our students and their families and we are thrilled to be able to provide a safe celebration for them.”
Graduates, faculty and guests will be required to follow health and safety guidelines for COVID-19. Face coverings will be required, and graduates will not shake hands with the university president and other top academic officials as they walk across the stage. Master’s degree candidates will not receive the traditional hooding at their ceremony.
The ceremonies will be livestreamed through Stetson Broadcast Productions to allow family, friends and fellow graduates to honor the achievements from afar. The schedule includes:
• Wednesday, May 5, at 6 p.m., Academic Awards & Recognition Ceremony, Virtual Live Stream
• Friday, May 7, at 7 p.m., Graduate Commencement Ceremony (Tickets required)
• Saturday, May 8, at 9 a.m., Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony (Tickets required) for the School of Music, College of Arts & Sciences – Natural Sciences, and Organizational Leadership
• Saturday, May 8, at 7 p.m., Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony (Tickets required) for College of Arts & Sciences – Arts / Humanities / Education / Social Sciences
• Sunday, May 9, at 9 a.m., Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony (Tickets required) for the School of Business Administration
No receptions or other gatherings will be hosted on campus during the weekend, due to the pandemic. For more information regarding tickets and complete ceremony details, please visit the Commencement website and FAQs.