Stetson University in the News, Sept. 22-28, 2017
September 29, 2017
- Stetson University earned the highest marks among area colleges in the U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 college rankings, according to the article, “Report Lists Volusia Universities Among the Best.” President Wendy B. Libby, Ph.D., said, “At Stetson, we take pride in being recognized as an academically rigorous institution that places a high value on global citizenship, personal growth and social responsibility,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Sept. 23.
- Law Professor Jason Bent’s interview with the Fort Myers News-Press on nurses being fired for failing to appear at work during Hurricane Irma appeared in USA Today and in close to 90 media outlets around the country, including the Sept. 27 True Viral News article, “Company fires employees who didn’t work during Irma, then rehires them.”
- Russell Franks, visiting assistant professor of voice at Stetson University, was covered in the Your Vero Beach Newsweekly article, “Well ‘Met’: Vero Opera Lineup is Teeming with Talent.” According to the article, Franks is the Vero Beach Opera stage director and is currently working on sets for the show.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology, was featured in the article, “Who Wants to be an Adult? Teens Taking Their Time Growing Up,” for his critical review of Jean Twenge’s book, iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy – and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood. The article was posted by Sci-Tech Today, NewsFactor.com and CIO Today Sept. 24.
- Valrie Chambers, Ph.D., associate professor of accounting at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Should You Give Your College Kids a Credit Card?” Chambers said, “The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 made it illegal for a credit card company to sign up an individual under the age of 21 without an adult cosigner, unless that underage individual shows convincing evidence of ability to pay,” posted by GoodCall Sept. 21.
- Bill Jackson, Ph.D., director of the Joseph C. Prince Entrepreneurship Program at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Big Changes Announced in Prince Entrepreneurship Program at Stetson University.” Jackson said, “After joining Stetson last year, I began developing a plan to expand the program and advance innovation and creativity through entrepreneurial activities,” posted by Benzinga and several other outlets Sept. 21.
- Valrie Chambers, Ph.D., associate professor of accounting, was quoted in the article, “New Potential Burden for Houston Homeowners: Higher Taxes,” posted by Sun Herald Online, Times Union Online, Journal-News Online and several other outlets Sept. 21.
- Stetson University President Wendy B. Libby was mentioned in the Orlando Sentinel article, “Your Community in Brief.” Libby will be the guest speaker for the Oct. 27 Ladies Legacy Luncheon, where she will discuss “Daring to be Significant,” posted Sept. 24.
- According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal article, “The Higher Ed Notebook,” Stetson University’s School of Business Administration has added a new major in entrepreneurship, posted Sept. 24.
- Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Sept. 26 Chronicle of Higher Education Online article, “What Does the End of Obama’s Title IX Guidance Mean for Colleges?” He wrote the Sept. 24 Chronicle of Higher Education Online article, “’Interim’ Guidance on Title IX Creates Confusion, Not Clarity.” Lake was quoted in the Sept. 22 Inside Higher Ed article, “Advocates warn against immediate changes to campus assault policies.”
- Law Professor Joseph Morrissey was quoted in the Sept. 27 Daily Report article, “Judge Analyzes Tax Deduction for Gay Parenthood in His First Opinion.”
- Stetson University College of Law students Taylor Greenberg and Ashleigh Thornton were featured in numerous articles via the newswire including the Sept. 27 Digital Journal article, “Stetson Law Students Selected for Ms. JD Leadership Academy at Harvard.”
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Sept. 26 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “Nursing Home Abuse: Reporting to Law Enforcement.” She also wrote the Sept. 25 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “The Newly Redesigned Medicare Card.” Professor Morgan also wrote the Sept. 22 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “Embrace Aging.”
- Law alumna Mary Lou Baker was featured in the Sept. 25 Tampa Bay Newspapers article, “Mary Lou Baker inducted into Florida Women’s Hall of Fame.”
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy is listed as a guest speaker in the Sept. 23 The Independent View blog post, “Unrig the System Summit.”
- Stetson University College of Law’s admissions agreement with USF was mentioned in the Sept. 24 Tampa Bay Newswire article, “Bulls Notebook: USF Sarasota-Manatee sees enrollment gains.”
- Stetson University College of Law was mentioned in the Sept. 24 vSpotz post, “Meet Stetson Law in NYC.”
- Stetson University was briefly mentioned in the article, “Architectural Tour Around the State,” posted by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune Online Sept. 24.
- Stetson University College of Law was mentioned in the Sept. 26 Tampa Bay Business Journal article, “Pass rate for Florida’s July bar exam increases.”
- Stetson Law Review was mentioned in the Sept. 27 CrimProf Blog article, “Dervan on Corporate Criminal Liability.”
- Louis DeJoy, Stetson University alumnus and director of XPO Logistics, was profiled by Plus Company Updates (PCU) Sept. 21.
- Law alumnus Sterling Lovelady was mentioned in the Sept. 22 Pensacola News Journal article, “Throwback Thursday: The area’s top recruits from 2011.”
- Greg Dasher, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “CNA Announces Greg Dasher as Vice President, Underwriting for Small Businesses,” posted by Yahoo Finance, Crossroads Today, Profit Quotes, Spoke and several other outlets Sept. 25.
- Law alumnus Patrick Duggan was mentioned in the Sept. 25 Bradenton Herald article, “Names and faces Sept. 25, 2017.”
- Jason Mullens, Stetson University alumnus, was profiled in the article, “Profile of Jason Mullens Chief Human Resources Officer of Cetera Financial Group,” posted by Plus Company Updates (PCU) Sept. 25.
- Dan Allen, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the articles, “Two Join HopeHealth in Florence” and “HopeHealth welcomes Harrison, Allen as New Providers,” posted by Florence Morning News Online Sept. 26.
- Law alumna and Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi was mentioned in the Sept. 26 Sioux Falls Argus Leader article, “Florida AG Bondi to headline law dinner in Sioux Falls.”
- Law alumnus Blake Hampton was featured in the Sept. 26 Naples Herald article, “Blake Hampton – 40 under 40 List.”
- Former Stetson University student Jason Paulk was featured in the article, “Professor’s Life Filled with Music,” posted by PublicNow Sept. 27.
- Law alumna Sarah Alsofrom was featured in many articles regarding her new position as Chair of the Leadership Florida regional council for the Gulfstream region, among them the Sept. 27 Pilot News- Online article, “Leadership Florida Selects Sarah Alsofrom as Chair of the Regional Council for Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian and Okeechobee Counties.”