Students Receive ROTC Commissions
At the 2016 Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Eagle Battalion Commissioning Ceremony, held Friday, May 6, at 10 a.m., six graduating seniors from Stetson University were commissioned as second lieutenants in the U.S. Army: Rachel Asbury, Kasandra Leclair, Myles G. Marken III, Bahta Mekonnen, Christopher M. Peer and Brittany Zwerker. In addition, Justen Scott, graduating from Bethune-Cookman University in nearby Daytona Beach, Fla., was commissioned during the ceremony.
The Army ROTC program at Stetson University provides students the opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge necessary for commissioning as a second lieutenant.
Lt. Col. Oakland McCulloch, U.S. Army (Ret.), was the guest speaker for the ceremony. In his 22-year Army career, McCulloch held numerous leadership positions in the Infantry, Quartermaster and Armor branches.
The academic major, hometown, first duty station and unit assigned for each cadet:
- 2nd Lt. Rachel Asbury: Religious Studies; DeLand, Fla.; Signal Corps, Active Duty
- 2nd Lt. Kasandra Leclair: Psychology; Mims, Fla.; U.S. Army Reserves Military Intelligence
- 2nd Lt. Myles G. Marken III: Humanities; Crofton, Md.; Field Artillery, Active Duty
- 2nd Lt. Bahta Mekonnen: Finance; Seattle, Wash.; Armor, Active Duty
- 2nd Lt. Christopher M. Peer: Political Science; Millington, N.J.; Infantry, Active Duty
- 2nd Lt. Brittany Zwerker: Integrative Health Science; Sarasota, Fla.; Medical Service Corps, Georgia National Guard
- 2nd Lt. Justen Scott/Bethune-Cookman University: Physical Education/Recreation; Fayetteville, N.C.; Medical Service Corps, Reserve.