Stetson University In the News, Apr. 15-21, 2016
April 22, 2016
- On Apr. 17, Stetson University was included in an article titled “Top colleges put thousands of applicants in wait-list limbo, and some won’t admit any” published in Washington Post, Edmond Sun Online, Commercial-News, and over 60 other news outlets.
- Law Professor Peter Lake discusses how honor codes should factor into Title IX cases for the April 18 Chronicle of Higher Educationarticle, “A Sex-Assault Case at Brigham Young Puts Honor Codes in the Spotlight.”
- Cynthia Bennington, Ph.D., professor of biology, was reported as one of the presenters in the article, “Pioneer Showcase to Kick Off with Ecology Presentations – Today,” posted by Glimmer Free Press on Apr. 19.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., director, Roland George Chair of Applied Investments and professor of finance, was quoted in the article, “Bank of America: The Balancing Act for BAC Stock,” as reported in Yahoo! News, Yahoo! New Zealand, Yahoo! News (AU), and Yahoo! Finance Canada on Apr. 18.
- Jason Evans, Ph.D., assistant professor of environmental science and studies, was quoted in the article “Study: Miami can expect 380 instances of flooding a year by 2045 thanks to climate change,” posted in Fusion on Apr. 18.
- Evans was also in the article, “Fate of World’s Coastlines Rests on Melting Antarctic Ice,” in ClimateCentral.org, Apr. 21. He took the main photo of Tybee Island’s king tide flooding, and was given credit/Stetson University.
- On Apr. 15, Evans was also quoted in an article titled “Tybee Island acts against rising seas and a warming climate,” as reported by AJC.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., associate professor and co-chair of psychology, wrote an article in the Huffington Post on Apr. 14, “Media Violence and Desensitization Part 2: A Case Study in How News Media Can Get It Wrong.”
- Ferguson also wrote an opinion piece, “Our struggle between science and pseudoscience,” published in the May 2016 issue of The Psychololgist, part of The British Psychological Society.
- Stetson University’s Education Professors Bette Heins, Ph.D., and Kathy Piechura-Couture, Ph.D., were quoted in an article discussing the popularity of Hillsborough’s single-gender classes, as reported by The Tampa Tribune on Apr. 17.
- Law Professor Paul Boudreaux is quoted in the April 14 Daytona Beach News-Journal article, “Retiring Volusia Circuit Judge Joseph Will says judges should be appointed, not elected.”
- According to the April 14 PRWeb story, April 16 Legal Monitor Worldwide and other outlets, “Stetson Hosts the 16th International Wildlife Law Conference on April 13-14.”
- On April 20, Benzinga and multiple other outlets, reported that “Students from the Philippines win International Environmental Moot Court Competition at Stetson Law.”
- The April 19 Before It’s News reported on the Stetson Law Review Symposium.
Alumni in the News:
- According to the April 19 BizWire Express and others, “Stetson Alumni to Lead Nation’s Top Elder Law Associations.”
- The April 18 BlogTalkRadio Money for Lunch featured an interview with Law alumna Mary King.
- According to the April 15 Tampa Bay Times and April 16 4Traders, Stetson alumna Allison Maughn has been appointed chief financial officer at Gulfside Hospice in Pasco County and Law alumna Suzette M. Marteny has been named a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- According to the Business Observer, Law alumnus Donald Thomson was recognized by Naples Daily News as one of the “25 over 50” honorees recently at the Hilton Naples.
- Stetson alumna Donalyn Knight wrote a book, The Spirited Aviator, which was reviewed in “New Xulon Book Combines A Passion for Air Travel with a Passion for Christ in one inspiring Read that “Soars” with Encouragement,” published in Benzinga and other media outlets on Apr. 18.
- On Apr. 20, SeedWorld reported that Stetson alumnus Shaun Yule will be working as Territory Sales Manager at Arysta LifeScience.