It’s not just another phase: it’s a transformation
The expansion and renovation of the CUB is scheduled to begin in April 2016 and be completed late December 2018. The schedule is organized in multiple phases, two of which are already complete: construction of the East Parking Area and moving some infrastructure such as chilled water and phone lines.
General information for Phase III through Phase VII follows:
- Phase III The construction of the North Wing of the CUB will include the Bookstore, C-Store, Post Office and the new Copy Center; all on the first floor. While the space is being renovated, the Bookstore will be relocated to Griffith Hall, for most of Fall 2016, until mid-Spring 2017. The Student Lounge, the Stetson radio station, student organization spaces, restrooms and office spaces will all be located on the second floor of the North Wing. This will become the student “living room” of campus.
- Phase IV Because the safety of students, faculty and staff is Stetson’s number one priority, during the time when the construction of the new kitchen is underway, a temporary kitchen will be developed and used for Spring 2017 through Spring 2018. This kitchen relocation will not cause disruption to food service. In late fall 2016, the Coffee Shop will be closed and converted to the area where food will be served. The dining seating area will remain in the same place, but patrons of the Commons will simply be rerouted to the current Coffee Shop area to get their meals. Also, as a commitment to our values, we will continue to use flatware and plates that are not disposable throughout this change.
- Phase V Early in 2017, work will begin on the kitchen, new dining areas, new serving areas, the east patio dining and north lobby — all on the first floor of the CUB. Additionally, work will be underway to develop spaces for Student Affairs, the catering kitchen, the north lobby, elevators, the south-to-north hallway and the Stetson Room — all on the second floor. These areas are scheduled to be completed by mid-2018.
- Phase VI Renovation of the Commons Dining Area will happen through the Summer of 2018. This timeline was chosen so the dining experience for students, faculty and staff would not be disrupted during the regular academic year.
- Phase VII From the middle of 2018 to the end of 2018, the South Lobby, the Faculty Lounge, restrooms, elevator and the Coffee Shop will be completed.
For more information on all the updates and changes to the Carlton Union Building, and updates on Stetson’s new Marshall and Vera Lea Rinker Welcome Center, which includes Stetson One Stop and Career Development, visit Stetson’s construction website, and stay up to date through Stetson Today stories and announcements.