Stetson University in the News – March 13-19, 2015
March 19, 2015
Stories in the news:
- Professor of Law Peter Lake is quoted in The Chicago Tribune and numerous outlets around the country including the March 17 Wichita Eagle – Online in the article “More students heading to college with mental illness..”
- Dr. T. Wayne Bailey was interviewed for “City race highlights murky role of political committees” in The Tampa Tribune March 15.
- Associate Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy op-ed “Court ruling drowned politics in dark money: The Front Burner:” was posted on Orlando Sentinel – Online on March 12.
- Stetson Law School professor Paul Boudreaux was quoted in the March 12 article “Residents once uprooted upset about Trop talk” on WTSP-TV Online.
- Stetson’s sale of bonds through Barclay’s Capital Inc. was reported in Yahoo! Finance New Zealand, Mar. 13.
- The Brunswick News, March 14, featured insights from Dr. Jason Evans, assistant professor of Environmental Science, in the article “Sea rise study ongoing.”
- In the March 17 The Daytona Beach News Journal, Stetson University’s campus was mentioned in describing the location of the Bank of America, which has just been purchased–“Investor Buys DeLand Bank Building.” Also reported in DeLand Beacon.
- Stetson Women’s Basketball Hosts WNIT, as reported in Daytona Beach News-Journal.
- The Stetson University Concert Choir spent their entire spring break traveling and performing eight free concerts in eight different venues, as reported in the Daily Sun in the Villages, Mar. 6.
- Dr. Larry Belcher, former business professor of 20 years at Stetson, and director of Stetson’s Roland George Investments Program, was named new dean of the School of Business at University of Indianapolis, as reported in uindy.edu news.
- English Professor Joel Davis will lead a discussion about “Will (Shakespeare) in the World” at DeLand Regional Library auditorium March 20, as reported in Daytona Beach News-Journal, March 18.
- In a Q&A interview with R&B rising star singer, Fash Cash, in the March 18 Daytona Beach News-Journal, she said her “most memorable gig” was back in 2001, when she sang at the Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast held in DeLand at Stetson University.
- Dr. Robert Chauvin, former Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Stetson, passed away, March 11, as reported in the obituary in Daytona Beach News-Journal, March 17.
- The Champion Magazine Online and numerous legal publications reported on March 17 that the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and Stetson Law presented Hank Asbill with the 2015 White Collar Criminal Defense Award.
- Professor Catherine Cameron spoke with WMNF radio on March 13 for The Last Call news program that aired at noontime regarding banning the words “climate change” in state government.
- Letter to the editor, March 12, Daytona Beach News-Journal “Testing vs. Authentic Educating,” from former teacher education professor Robert Leahy. He’s encouraging teachers to consider authentic educating, as described in his book, The Practical Guide to Authentic Educating.
- Reported in wn.com and noodls.com:
- o Spring Blood Drive
- o Science Café at the Gillespie
- o Science Saturday at the Gillespie: Mindboggling
- o Stetson Women’s Basketball Hosta WNIT
- o FRIDAY@12 gathering, features Math/Computer Science Professor Hari Pulapaka
- o Win $500 for your best published journalism
- o HGTV 2009 Green Home: Sustainable design without compromise, topic for guest speaker at Lifelong Learning Program in Celebration
Alumni in the news:
- Lisa King ’84, is a candidate for City Council District 2, Jacksonville, FL, reported on News4JAX.
- Alumnus David S. Becker of the Bradenton law firm of Heintz & Becker, has been named to 2014 Florida Super Lawyers list. He received his Juris Doctorate from Stetson College of Law after completing his undergraduate studies at The Pennsylvania State University. Mr. Becker graduated fifth in his class at Stetson and participated on the Moot Court Board. Mr. Becker has been named to Florida’s list of Super Lawyers three times.
- Alumnus J. Scott Kirk has become a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in America.
- Solomon’s Javic Homes earned an invitation to become a member of the prestigious Southern Living custom builder program, as reported in the The Tampa Bay Times on March.18.
- Corey Kluber was featured in a New York Times article for his pitching with the Cleveland Indians.
- TargetedNewsService.com, March 12, reported “UNO to present Honorary Doctorate to Gordon “Nick” Mueller” Stetson alumnus.
- Orlando Sentinel mentioned a Stetson University alumni athlete and his athletic family in the article, Connections: Former Winter Park standout makes most of time at MIT, on Mar. 2.
- An obituary feature on Stetson alumna and popular Volusia County teacher Jennifer Paquette Heneghan ran in the Orlando Sentinel on March 16, “Former teacher of the year was ‘outside of box.”
- Shirley Ann (Williams) Ash died Jan. 8, 2015. She graduated from Stetson 1953, obit in Daytona Beach News-Journal.