Stetson University in the News, May 28-June 3, 2021
• Rajni Shankar-Brown, PhD, associate professor and Jessie Ball duPont Endowed Chair of Social Justice Education, was quoted June 2 in the article, “Moral Courage ED Releases Online Course to Achieve Diversity Without Division,” on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Online, The Decatur Daily Democrat, The Mommy Rundown and numerous other media outlets. “The Moral Courage Method is a powerful strategy for reconciliation in polarized times. It opens hearts in order to open minds,” Shankar-Brown said.
• Head Softball Coach Frank Griffin was profiled May 28 in the article, “Frank Griffin, longtime Stetson softball coach, retires after 25 years,” in the Daytona Beach News-Journal. “It’s been a good run,” Griffin said. “I have been at two universities and had success at both of them. I have had great relationships with staff and players. That’s what I am going to remember the most.”
• Dan Plante, PhD, professor of Mathematics and Computer Science, was interviewed May 22 for the segment, “Ransomware cyberattack on the Colonial Pipeline,” on CKNW Radio (Canada).
• Stuart Michelson, PhD, Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance and chair of Finance, was quoted in the June 1 article, “Why Investors Should Pivot to Health Care Stocks,” on Yahoo Finance.
• Scott Jones, PhD, associate professor of Marketing, was quoted in the June 2 article, “Even under a dark cloud of Covid, brands can’t quit the Olympics,” on dnyuz.com. Quartz (qz.com) and other media outlets.
• Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy was quoted in a June 2 press release offering support of the formation of the OpenSecrets.org website.
• Athletics Director Jeff Altier, who serves as the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee chairman, was quoted in the Associated Press article, “Arkansas top seed in NCAA Tournament after dominant SEC run,” which appeared May 31 in The Washington Post, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and numerous other media outlets.
• Stetson was cited in the DeLand entry in the June 3 article, “Florida’s most beautiful small towns and cities,” on msn.com.
• Stetson University was mentioned in “Class Notes,” on June 1 in the West Volusia Beacon for student awards and honors, and an upcoming FUNd Run Virtual 5K.
• Adjunct Law Professor Steven Scott Stephens was quoted in a June 2 article from the Sarasota Herald-Tribune titled, “ ‘Creepy and illegal’: Is this Sarasota code enforcement officer obeying the law?”
• Law Professor Rebecca C. Morgan wrote the following blogs for the Elder Law Prof Blog:
- May 26: “New Issue Brief on Medicaid Estate Recovery”
- May 27: “Elders in China Have to Delay Retirement?”
- May 31: “Roundup on Nursing Home Articles”
• Adjunct Professor and Stetson Law Hall of Fame member Irene Sullivan was mentioned in a June 3 article from Florida Politics for her support of Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch in his bid for St. Petersburg mayor.
• Alumna Chelsea Oxendine, a singer and 2010 Business Administration grad, was profiled in “Free concerts return” in the June 2 Gainesville Sun.
• Law alumna Lindsay C.T. Holt is the new special magistrate for Oxford Oaks, per a June 1 article on the Villages-News.com website.