Stetson University in the News, Aug. 21-27, 2020
• The article, “Stetson University confirms 54 coronavirus cases as state pulls report,” appeared in The Daytona Beach News-Journal on Aug. 25. A similar story, “54 cases of COVID-19 confirmed at Stetson University in DeLand,” was reported Aug. 24 by WKMG-TV Channel 6, WTSP-TV and WDBO.
• Lua Hancock, EdD, vice president of Campus Life and Student Success, was quoted by Fox 35 in the story, “Central Florida universities warn against large gatherings amid pandemic, could lead to suspensions,” on Aug. 27. The story mentioned Stetson’s Everbridge app for daily wellness checks. Hancock also was interviewed on WMFE-FM on Aug. 27 for the story, “Stetson University Suspends Students Holding Parties, as 57 People Test Positive for Coronavirus.”
• Stetson University was mentioned in the story, “Volusia has small spike in new cases and 3 more deaths,” in the Hometown News on Aug. 28.
• Janie Graziani, assistant vice president for Marketing Communications, and student William Mackenzie were quoted in the West Volusia Beacon article, “Stetson frat hit by COVID cases; sick students quarantined,” on Aug. 24.
• Asal Johnson, PhD, associate professor of Public Health, was quoted in the article, “Florida coronavirus cases have declined. It may be a result of less testing,” on Aug. 26 in the Daytona Beach News-Journal. Johnson also was quoted Aug. 27 in the story, “Orange City Council votes 6-1 to keep mask mandate in place,” in the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
• Stetson was mentioned in the article, ”Universities try to stem COVID-19 cases,” in Florida Politics on Aug. 26. The story also was picked up by FOX 13, WMBB-TV, WOGX-TV, WUSF-TV, WFOR-TV and dozens of other media outlets. A similar story appeared on FlaglerLive on Aug. 26 entitled, ”Florida’s Colleges and Universities are Suspending Students who Flout Covid-Safety Rules.” The story was picked up by dozens of other media outlets.
• Stuart Michelson, PhD, Roland and Sarah George professor of Finance and Chair of Finance, was quoted by MSN Money on Aug. 27 for the article, “Is Dividend Stock Investing a Good Idea?”
• Associate Professor of Accounting Valrie Chambers, PhD, was quoted in the Aug. 21 Market Screener article, “Small-Business Owners: Don’t Forget Special Pandemic Tax Breaks.”
• Professor of Law Ciara Torres-Spelliscy was quoted in The Columbian article “Democrats push to revamp political money system that’s boosting their campaigns” on Aug. 23. “The more voices you can get to say the same messages, identify the same problems dark money, corporate money and then repeat that message, that’s where you get buy in from the American people,” said Torres-Spelliscy, author of the book “Political Brands.”
• Professor Emeritus of Political Science T. Wayne Bailey, PhD, was quoted in the West Volusia Beacon on Aug. 26 in the article, “Volusia ends its lawsuit against change in county government.”
• Law Professor Louis J. Virelli III was featured in an interview on WFSU radio on Aug. 25 for a segment called, “State’s Appeal In School Reopen Legal Battle Means Districts Still Under DOE’s Order, For Now.”
• Law Professor Louis J. Virelli III was quoted in an Aug. 26 segment on WTSP Tampa Bay called, “Lawmaker’s loud crusade to fight local mask mandates continues to get quietly shot down by judges.”
• Law Professor Louis J. Virelli III was quoted in an Aug. 13 article in the Legal Examiner called, “Face masks just the latest of public safety battles.”
• Jeff Altier, director of Athletics, was quoted in the West Volusia Beacon on Aug. 26 for the article, “Play ball? Sports teams wrestle with COVID.”
• Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy was quoted on Vox for an Aug. 25 article called, “What happens to the Supreme Court (and the Constitution) if Trump wins.”
• Law Professor Rebecca C. Morgan wrote the following blogs for the Elder Law Prof Blog: Aug. 23: “Elder Abuse, SNFs & COVID. An Article in Harper’s Magazine;” Aug. 24, “ASA Reveals Digital Platform, Generations;” Aug. 25, “Webinar on Elder Fraud Prevention and Response Networks – Building Collaboration;” and Aug. 26, “Guilty Plea in Prize Notification Scam.”
• Alumnus Lewis Cohen joined Weiss Serota Helfman Cole & Bierman as partner, according to an Aug. 24 press release.
• Alumnus Pedro Cuervo was interviewed in a Winter Haven News Chief story about the hardships associated with the Bar Exam delays.