Stetson University in the News, Nov. 15-21, 2019
• Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy was quoted in a Nov. 15 article on Vox called, “Did Trump just commit witness tampering? I asked 7 legal experts.” The article was picked up by MSN Canada and MSN Australia.
• Professor of Finance Stuart Michelson, PhD, was quoted in the Nov. 14 U.S. News & World Report article, “How to Invest in Preferred Stock ETFs.”
• Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in a Nov. 18 article on Forward called, “Does an International School Operating in NYC have a ‘No Israelis’ Policy?’ ” The story was also picked up by Elder of Ziyon blog.
• Director of the Center for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Policy Peter Lake was quoted in an article at the Columbia Spectator titled, “Students and Faculty Say Gender-Based Harassment and Discrimination at Columbia is Systemic. Why Are They Turning Away From the System Built to Address It?” The article, published on Nov. 14, discusses the recent sexual harassment and discrimination allegations at Columbia University as well as the system put in place to deal with these issues.
• Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote a Nov. 19 opinion piece for the Brennan Center for Justice website called, “A Trump Administration Plan that Could Boost Corporate ‘Dark Money’ in Elections.” The Election Law Blog mentioned/linked to the article.
• Law Professor Ellen Podgor was mentioned in a Nov. 18 post on Business Law Prof Blog called, “Insider Trading Stories at UT Law” for her participation at the Tennessee Journal of Law and Policy symposium at UT Law earlier this month.
• Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy was a guest on the BYU radio show Top of Mind with Julie Rose on Nov. 19 discussing how President Donald Trump is now turning to the U.S. Supreme Court to protect his tax returns from becoming public.
• Professor Rebecca C. Morgan wrote the following blogs for the Elder Law Prof Blog: Nov. 16, Caregiver Respite with Shelter Pets!; Nov. 18, Do You Think Your Parents are Stubborn?; Nov. 18, Guidelines for Financial Institutions; Nov. 19, Issue Brief on Medicare Part D; and Nov. 20, June 2020 Conference on Law Teaching & Learning
• Alumna Lauren Baker Murray was featured in a Nov. 16 article from Tampa Bay Newswire for her presentation of the Straz Music Discovery Series at The Franciscan Center.
• Alumnus Colin Jewell was named chairman of the board of the Tidelands Health Foundation, as reported by the Nov. 21 South Strand News article, “Surfside Beach attorney named chairman of the Tidelands Health Foundation board.”
• Law alumnus and Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis was voted Best Local Politician, Best LGBT Activist, and Best Attorney as part of the SouthFloridaGayNews.com “Best of 2019” for the People category in Broward County.
• Law alumna Catherine A. Hunter joined Creighton Construction & Development its in-house legal team, according to a brief in Gulfshore Business.