Stetson University in the News, Sept. 8-13, 2018
- Stetson University was ranked fifth among the Best Regional Universities in the South, according to U.S. News & World Report’s top 300 national college and university rankings for 2019. Stetson also was ranked third among 51 schools listed as the best colleges for veterans. The rankings were reported by The Daytona Beach News-Journal, Orlando Business Journal and numerous other media outlets.
- New York Mets pitcher and Stetson alumnus Jacob deGrom was profiled in “A Deeper Look at the Cy Young Season of Jacob deGrom” on sportsmedia101.com. “deGrom’s brilliant season shouldn’t be ignored considering how much his team has struggled this year,” the article said about the former Hatter’s prospects of winning Major League Baseball’s top award for pitchers. USA Today reported that deGrom set an MLB record by allowing no more than three runs in 26 starts.
Sam Friedman, the first Hillel director at Stetson, wrote the article “A great beginning for Hillel at Stetson – L’Shana Tova and go Hatters!” on the website of Heritage Florida Jewish News. “Excellent Hillels develop excellent students, who foster excellence on campus, and it’s inspiring to watch an excellent Hillel develop at Stetson,” Friedman wrote.
- Friedman also was cited in “New Year’s greeting from Central Florida Hillel” in Heritage Florida Jewish News.
- Chris Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of Psychology, was quoted in the article “Video Game Addiction Is Real and Professionals Aren’t Prepared to Help” on newscaf.com. “Undoubtedly some people overdo games just as they overdo food, sex, work, dance, etc., but there’s no real rationale for an independent gaming disorder diagnosis,” Ferguson said.
- Ferguson also was quoted in “ ‘Warfield Widows’ Say This Game Is Ruining Their Marriages” on agriculturalinformation4u.blogspot.com.
Stetson’s Roland George Investments Program was featured in the article “How a Stetson University program is creating next-gen investors” on the website of the Orlando Business Journal and Tampa Bay Business Journal Online.
- Law Professor Charles Rose was quoted in the Sept. 6 Daily Magazine article “With parking-lot shooting, Florida ‘stand your ground’ law takes the stand.” The Legislature “shifted the burden of proof in a pre-trial hearing from the defense to the prosecution,” Rose said. “That leaves the possibility that if you indict someone and it doesn’t hold up during the hearing, then you may be facing an allegation of false imprisonment by the individual who was asserting stand your ground.”
- Law professor Rebecca C. Morgan wrote the Sept. 6 Elder Law Prof Blog “Is There Such a Thing As Rational Suicide?” She also wrote the Sept. 9 Elder Law Prof Blog “ECHO MOLST,” the Sept. 10 Elder Law Prof Blog “How Retirement of Baby Boomer Business Owners Will Affect Employees” and the Sept. 11 Elder Law Prof Blog “Stetson’s 20th Annual SNT Planning Conference.”
Law professor Peter Lake was quoted in the September 7 Waco Tribune-Herald article “Baylor legal fees skyrocket amid investigations, lawsuits related to sexual assault.” Professor Lake is quoted in the Legal Intelligencer article “Are Law Schools Increasingly Acting as a Minor Judiciary, Holding Quasi-Trials?” He also is quoted in the Campus Safety Magazine article “Baylor Legal Fees Rise After Sexual Assault Lawsuits.”
- Law professor Irene Sullivan was quoted in the September 7 Fox News article “Details of Florida boy’s short, troubled life emerge.”
- The late Stetson art professors Louis and Elsie Freund, who established the gallery/art studio Florida CraftArt in St. Petersburg, were cited in “25 Best Things to Do in St. Petersburg, Florida” on vacationidea.com.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., CFA, director of Roland George Investments Program, wrote three articles on seekingalpha.com: “Intel, AMD, Nvidia: A 3-Way Valuation,” “What’s Happened To Micron Technology Lately?” and “Should Micron Buy Back Stock As Soon As Possible?”
- Stetson’s Christmas Candlelight Concerts were featured in an article on capitalsoup.com.
“Anni Holm: The Immigration Project,” an exhibit at the Hand Art Center, was featured in “Multimedia Exhibit Explores Impact of 9/11 Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Immigration” on capital soup.com.
- Stetson was cited in the article “JUULing, vaping, mods: More teens attracted to e-cigarettes” on the website of The Daytona Beach News-Journal.
- Stetson student Jessica Kamuche received a scholarship from U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson and the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, according to crossroadsnews.com.
- Stetson’s AFROTC program was cited on news.erau.edu and Firetrench Aerospace & Defence.
- A lecture on geriatric mental health by Dr. Dan Hale, former Professor of Clinical Psychology at Stetson, was cited on avenuenews.com.
- Stetson’s presence at the upcoming inaugural Performing Arts College Fair at the Straz Center in Tampa was cited in the Tampa Bay Times.
- Stetson was cited in the article “Sky’s the Limit in the Southeast” on sportstravelmagazine.com.
- Former Stetson administrator Tina Calderone as appointed to Seminole State’s District Board of Trustees, according to seminolestate.edu.
- Stuart Michelson, Ph. D., Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance and Chair of Finance, was quoted in an “Ask the Experts” segment of a wallethub.com article on American Express. “The American Express brand is stronger than ever,” Michelson said.
- Alumna Karen Wiggins, director of the Vero Beach High School Performing Arts Center, was featured in the article “Many entertainment groups call Vero Beach High School Performing Arts Center home” on tcpalm.com.
- Alumna Stacey Morris, Director of Energy Research at Alerian, wrote the article “With the U.S. Exporting 20% of Its Oil Production, What Midstream Companies Could Benefit?” on seekingalpha.com.
- Alumnus Dan Tibbetts was inducted posthumously into the International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame, according to Cayman iNews and caymancompass.com.
- Alumnus Bryan C. Hinmon, CFA, wrote the article “Outperforming Through Independent Thinking and a Long-Term Mindset” on twst.com.
- Alumnus and U.S. attorney Byung J. Pak was profiled in “U.S. Attorney BJ Pak to speak during Constitution Day” on clayton.edu.
- FisherBroyles, LLP, announced that law alumnus Charles Geitner has been added as partner and litigator in the firm’s Naples office.
- The Sept. 7 Gray-Robinson reports that law alumnus Andy Mayts has been elected vice chair of the Hillsborough County Children’s Board.
- The Sept. 10 Trenam Law announced that law alumna Alicia H. Koepke has been appointed co-practice group leader of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group.