Stetson University in the News, July 21-July 26, 2018
- Terence Farrell, Ph.D., professor of Biology, was featured in National Geographic on July 25 in Animals, Wild Encounters: “Watch What Happens When a Rattlesnake Meets a Giant Centipede.” Farrell said, “Snakes are often thought of as incredibly stupid eating machines. But it turns out that the more you look at snakes, the more sophisticated their behavior becomes.” Farrell recently started a YouTube channel with his videos of Pygmy rattlesnake predatory behavior, which National Geo picked up and used with the article.
- Stetson University was included in an article, “College Consensus Releases Ranking of Best Colleges in Florida 2018,” on WBBH-TV Online, the Arizona Republic Online, Telemundo Amarillo, the Mammoth Times Online in California and numerous other media outlets. College Consensus is a new college ranking website and included Stetson in its ranking of the Best Colleges in Florida 2018.
- Stetson Trustees Hyatt and Cici Brown were mentioned in Florida Trend online on July 25 in Business Briefs. Hyatt Brown, the Daytona Beach insurance executive and former House Speaker, and his wife will donate $18 million to Stetson University to build a science building and expand science programs, the magazine reported. It is the largest gift in the university’s history.
- Stetson student Emily Rosenfeld and her Chihuahua, Archie, were included in the article, Colleges and Universities Say Yes to Pets, on July 25 in Voice of America and other media outlets, including NewDelhiNews.net and BritainNews.net.
Stetson University was featured as “A Beacon of Innovation” on July 17 in E-Learn Magazine, which included quotes and video clips with Stetson faculty, students and administrators discussing improvements in the digital learning environment for faculty and students since Stetson selected Blackboard Software as a Service. The video clips and photos with quotes also were shown during the Blackboard World 2018 international conference on July 16-19 in Orlando.
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote the July 24 article, “What You Need to Know About Florida’s Voting Rights,” for Shondaland. Professor Torres-Spelliscy is quoted in the July 25 Vox article, “Did Trump violate campaign finance law? I asked 11 legal experts.” She is quoted in the July 26 Bustle magazine article, “The Trump & Michael Cohen Tape Raises Some Burning Questions – Here’s What Legal Experts Say.”
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., CFA, director of Roland George Investments Program, was quoted in U.S. News and World Report on July 26 in an article, “Elon Musk Makes Tesla Stock a Volatile Bet.” Tesla stock fell by 4.5 percent in May after CEO Elon Musk’s angry outburst, wiping out $2 billion in market cap that day, the article said. Ma said, “Musk has the relentless, almost obsessive drive to always be the best at whatever he does. He is self-centered, egotistic and borderline narcissistic.”
- Stetson University was mentioned in the story, “For Chipper Jones, the Perfect Upbringing,” on July 24 in the Napa Valley Register, the St. Louis Post Dispatch and numerous other media outlets. The story notes Jones’ father, Larry, played shortstop and later became a coach at Stetson under former head baseball coach Pete Dunn. Dunn is Chipper Jones’ godfather and coached him as a boy during summer baseball camps at Stetson, according to the article. The former Atlanta Braves player is being inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Jacksonville Jaguars player Donald Payne was mentioned in the Gainesville Sun’s Top Cats column, the Florida Times-Union online and other media outlets. One of the columnists wrote, “I’m convinced Donald Payne is a special player – just needs the opportunity to show it. He’s the only player in the NFL from Stetson, which doesn’t offer football scholarships.”
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology, was interviewed in an article, “‘Head cases: Internet gaming disorder’ really just a human failing?” in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune on July 24.
- Law Adjunct Professor Arturo Rios is quoted in the July 21 WRAL article, “Immigration a top issue for Republican governor candidates … but what can they actually do about it?”
- Stetson alumna Kim Barclay was the subject of an article, “Who is Zach Johnson’s wife Kim Barclay, how many children does golfer have, and what is his net worth?” in The World News in the United Kingdom on June 22 and other media outlets. The article says Barclay graduated from Stetson with a degree in sociology.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., CFA, director of Roland George Investments Program, wrote three articles for Seeking Alpha this week, entitled, “Amazon Q2 Earnings: AWS, Ads, And Whole Foods Beat Low-Margin Online Retail” on July 26, “Facebook Q2: Instagram Vs. #DeleteFacebook” on July 24 and “AMD Q2: Crypto Vs. EPYC” on July 24.
- Stetson University’s Yearbook Collection in the digital archive of the duPont-Ball Library was mentioned in The Ancestor Hunt on July 23 in “Today’s 100 Free Online Yearbooks.”
- Law Professor Ellen Podgor is referenced in the July 25 Crim Prof Blog, “Podgor on Demanding Corporate Criminal Trials.”
- Law Professor Rebecca C. Morgan wrote the July 20 Elder Law Prog Blog, “Changing the Way ALJs are Appointed?” She wrote the July 23 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Taxpayer Identity Theft.” She wrote the July 23 Elder Law Prof Blog, “It’s Hurricane Season-Are Nursing Homes Ready?”
- Law Professor Judith Scully spoke with Bay News 9 for the July 26 report on changes to Stand Your Ground law.
- Alumnus Bill Dudley is running for the Pinellas County School Board, according to an article July 25 in Tampa Bay Newspapers.
- Stetson alumnus and Chiropractor Ronald Fulmore II was included in the article, “Fulmore Chiropractic cares for others like family” in the Sanford Herald on July 21. The article noted Ronald Fulmore II is a Stetson business school graduate and former Stetson Hatters Soccer Team MVP.
- The July 20 Space Coast Daily announced that law alumnus Bryan Lober has been endorsed by Jim Glover for Brevard County Commission District 2.
- The July 23 Carlton Fields announced that law alumnus J. Ryan Yant has joined the firm as an associate in its Tampa office.
- According to the July 25 Chron and MySanAntonio, law alumnus Ian Larson has been promoted to vice president & associate general counsel of AssuredPartners, Inc.
- Law alumnus and Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri is quoted in the July 25 Daily Beast.
- According to the July 26 Gulfshore Business, Law alumnus Will W. Sunter has been selected for the 2018-19 class of the Florida Fellows Institute by the Florida Fellows of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
- The July 26 Tampa Bay Times recommends law alumnus Dave Ellis for Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court Judge.
- According to News4Jax, law alumnus John Upchurch is running as a democrat in the 6th Congressional District election.
Alumnus Jared Lanza has been elected to Geico assistant vice president of the Competitive Advantage Leadership Group by the Geico Board of Directors, according to the Business Wire. He earned a bachelor’s degree in finance from Stetson.