Stetson University in the News, Nov. 3-9
November 9, 2017
- Alan Green, Ph.D., associate professor and department chair of economics, wrote the article, “The Problem with Deficits (You Have to Pay for Them),” posted by the Orlando Sentinel Nov. 2. Green also contributed to the Orlando Sentinel article, “Tax Cuts for a Shot in U.S. Economy’s Arm?” posted Nov. 2.
- Jason Evans, Ph.D., associate professor of environmental science and studies at Stetson University, was featured in the article, “It’s Academic: Climate Change, Sea Level Rise … Topics in Every Profession.” According to Evans, a career focusing on sea level rise is ideal “if you want a good job and you’re interested in stormwater,” posted by The Times Record Nov. 2.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the U.S. News & World Report and MSN Money U.S. article, “The Sky’s the Limit for Apple Inc. Stock (AAPL).” Ma said, “In the short run, the delay of the iPhone X, seemingly negative, may have two unintended positive consequences. The delay in production and delivery turns iPhone’s ‘super cycle’ into a ‘super long cycle’ and pushes the Q4 revenue into Q1. As a result, the regularly seasonal revenue will be smoothed,” posted Nov. 2.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article “Stetson University Students Unveil Stock Picks.” Ma said, “This is real world investing. RGIP (Roland George Investments Program) students are able to jump start their money management experience in their senior year at Stetson, giving them experience equal to five years of hands-on work experience, and outpacing the competition in the job market,” posted by PRWeb, Times Union Online and several other outlets Nov. 2.
- Law Professor Kirsten Davis was quoted in the Nov. 3 U.S. News & World Report article, “Choose a Law School That Emphasizes Legal Writing.”
- Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in Slovakia Nov. 3 via the Agence France Presse.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Violent Video Games at Whiting Forensic,” posted by NBC Connecticut Nov. 3. Ferguson said, “Again, we don’t really have evidence to suggest that violent video games are harmful. And in some cases it may actually be de-stressing for some of the patients on the unit.”
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, was mentioned in the article, “Time on Social Media is Not Linked to Poor Mental Health,” posted by Mogaz News (en), Mail on Sunday, Buzz News (UK) and several other outlets Nov. 3.
- The Nov. 6 American Bar Association and Nov. 1 States News Service reported that Law Professor Ellen Podgor received the ABA Raeder-Taslitz Award.
- Dean Emeritus and Professor of Law Bruce Jacob spoke with the Washington Times for the Nov. 6 article, “Supreme Court upholds death penalty for murderer who can’t remember his crime.”
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, was mentioned in the article, “I’m a ‘Sometimes Spanker’ & I’ll Never Talk to You About It,” posted by The Stir by Cafemom and Easy Branches International Nov. 7.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “How to Buy Great, Cheap Stocks When Indexes Are at All-Time Highs.” Ma said, “These are clearly solid companies with proven, strong long-term fundamentals, yet they didn’t not price in recent unrealistic ‘techy bubble-ish’ pricing,” posted by TheStreet Nov. 8.
- Law Professor Luz Nagle was featured in the Newswire story, “Hispanic Bar Association honors Stetson University Professor of Law Luz Nagle,” which ran in dozens of media outlets around the U.S.
- The Nov. 2 Targeted News Service reported, “Need a Refresher on the Insurance Crisis? Stetson Hosts Colloquium and Public Forum on AOB Lawsuits.”
- Law Professor Marco Jimenez was featured in the Nov. 3 ContractsProf Blog post, “Contracts and Commercial Law Scholarship: Weekly Top Ten SSRN Downloads.”
- Stetson University was mentioned in the article, “How Art Critics Create Community,” posted by NewGeography Nov. 8.
- Stetson University was mentioned in the article, “After Two Hurricanes, Two Whirlwind Journeys for St. Croix Attorney,” posted by St. Croix Source and St. John Source Nov. 8.
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Nov. 8 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “Check Out This New Report: New Guide on HCBS Settings Rule.” Professor Morgan also wrote the Nov. 7 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “What Makes Life so Spectacular?” She also wrote the Nov. 6 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “Unpartnered Americans-New Report from Pew.” Professor Morgan also wrote the Nov. 3 Elder Law Prof Blog post, “Tired of Those RoboCalls?” She also wrote the Nov. 9 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Mom Does Have a Favorite!”
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy’s article, “Dark Money as a Political Sovereignty Problem,” was cited in the Nov. 8 Election Law Blog.
- On Nov. 1, Law alumna Genevieve Whitaker was featured on former President Barack Obama’s Instagram page while attending the inaugural Obama Foundation Summit in Chicago Oct. 31-Nov. The news was also reported in the Nov. 7 St. Thomas Source.
- Caroline Brazelton, graduate of Stetson University School of Music, was featured in the article, “Riverside Opera’s GIVING THANKS FOR SONG to Feature Opera & Pop, Iconic Arias & ’60s Tunes,” posted by Broadway World Nov. 4.
- Law alumnus Ryan Nichols was featured in the Nov. 6 Sarasota Herald-Tribune Online article, “Business People.”
- Stetson University alumnus Scott Milford was featured in the Milford Mirror article, “Business Briefs,” posted Nov. 2.
- Law alumna Natalie Yello was featured for her new job in the Nov. 7 Gray Robinson.com article, “GrayRobinson Welcomes Six Lawyers to its Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa Offices.”
- Law alumna Mary King was featured in the Nov. 7 Blog Talk Radio.com show, “Mary King the IRS Problem Solving Lawyer.”
- Former Stetson University student Dr. Michael Kelly was covered in the article, “Carestream – Dr. Kelly – Implant Practice US,” posted by Implant Practice US Online Nov. 8.
- Stetson University alumna Heather Graves was featured in the article, “Locus Studios Welcomes Heather!” posted by Circuit Media.
- Law alumna Kelly J. Ruoff has been elevated to shareholder at Trenam Law, according to a Nov. 8 press release.
- The Nov. 8 Englewood Review reported that Law alumnus Charles “Charlie” Diez has died.
- The Nov. 8 The News reports that Law alumna Elizabeth McCoyd Greer has joined Takacs McGinnis Elder Care Law as an associate attorney.