Stetson University in the News, Aug. 18-24
August 25, 2017
Stetson College of Law alumnus Fred Ridley, a Tampa attorney, will become chairman of Augusta National, home to the Masters Tournament, according to the Aug. 23 Palm Beach Post.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology, was quoted in the article, “Can Video Game Playing Cost You Gray Matter?” Ferguson said, “Given that there are so many areas in the brain, it stands to reason that, by chance alone, some of these areas may randomly differ between any two groups of people,” posted by WVNS-TV Online Aug. 18.
- Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Aug. 17 POLITICO Online story, “Free Speech Fights Take Center Stage.” Professor Lake was quoted in the Aug. 19 Tallahassee Democrat article, “Cotterell: UF Means Well, but the First Amendment is Clear.”
- A review of Stetson Professor Eric Kurlander’s book, “Hitler’ Monsters: A Supernatural History of the Third Reich,” was posted by Daily News Online Aug. 20.
- Stetson University Football head coach Roger Hughes was quoted in a College Football Preview special section in the Orlando Sentinel on Aug. 24.
- On Aug. 21, the Tampa Bay Business Journal article, “Here’s what you can do if your employee is part of a hate group, according to Holland & Knight,” quoted Law Professor Jason Bent. The Jacksonville Business Journal also ran the news.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “10 Worst Wall Street Opinions in History.” Ma said, “On March 14, Bear Stearns stock fell 92 percent on news of a Fed bailout and $2-a-share takeover by JPMorgan,” posted by GoBankingRates Aug. 22.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, wrote the article, “No, Smartphones Alone Aren’t Making Us Unhappy,” posted by Houston Chronicle and True Viral News Aug. 22.
- Stetson University was mentioned in the Targeted News Service article, “UT Joins Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success.” According to the article, Stetson is one of four Florida-based institutions that are part of the Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success, posted Aug.16.
- Lua Hancock, Ed.D., Vice President for Campus Life and Student Success at Stetson University, was featured in the article, “CAHSS Alum is Vice President at Stetson University,” posted by SharkBytes Aug. 22.
- Patrick Hennessey, Ph.D., professor of music at Stetson University, will be leading a musical tribute for Ella Fitzgerald on Aug. 26, according to the Florida Today article, “Food & Fun: Space Coast Happenings.”
- According to the article, “DeLand Police to Conduct Pedestrian Safety Operation Near Stetson University,” Stetson University is partnering with the City of DeLand Police Department to “assist with pedestrian safety education, awareness and enforcement,” posted by US Official News Aug. 18.
- On Aug. 18, Adjunct Law Professor, Overseer and alumnus Richard Harrison was quoted in four separate online newspaper articles, including the Tampa Bay Times articles “Rick Baker Wouldn’t Recuse Himself from City Business with his Former Boss.”
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Aug. 18 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Dropping ‘Anti-Aging’ from Vocabulary.” She wrote the Aug. 21 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Hospice Compare.” Professor Morgan also wrote the Aug. 22 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Affordable & Accessible Community-Based Housing for Vulnerable Adults.” She wrote the Aug. 23 Elder Law Prof Blog, “DOJ Webinar Financial Exploitation in the Context of Guardianships and Other Legal Arrangements.”
- John H. Pearson, former associate vice president of academic affairs at Stetson University, will become provost of Point Park University, according to the article, “Taylor, Ocampo, Pearson, Bennett, Hansen, Hissrich, Schörnich, Block,” posted by Pittsburgh Quarterly, Aug. 21.
- On Aug. 20, Stetson University College of Law was mentioned during 970 WFLA radio talk show in regards to offering a part-time law program.
- The Aug. 20 The Faculty Lounge story, “Stetson Law Seeks Faculty and VAP” discussed various positions for faculty at Stetson Law.
- According to the article, “Sunburn for 8.22.17 – Adam Putnam up Close; Goat Blood-Drinker Running for Senate; Bill Nelson,” Andrew Gillum will be visiting Stetson University in his tour of college campuses, posted by SaintPetersBlog.
- The Aug. 23 Legally India mentions Stetson’s International Environmental Moot Court Competition.
- Jim Clark, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “UCF Forum Opinion Series to Begin 6th Year with New Columnists,” as one of the new columnists for the UCF Forum opinion series, posted by UCF Today Aug. 17.
- Stetson University alumnus Jason Mullens was profiled in the article, “Profile of Jason Mullens Chief Human Resources Officer of Cetera Financial Specialists LLC,” posted by Plus Company Updates Aug. 18.
- Taylor Benneweis, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “New Teachers Greet New Schools and the New School Year,” posted by Cavalier County Extra Aug. 18.
- Charlie Page, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Economic Council August Newsletter,” posted by Plus Company Updates Aug. 19.
- Alumna Jane Kleeb, chair of the Nebraska Democratic Party and president of the Bold Alliance, was featured in the article, “A Leader of the Keystone Opposition Talks About Building Progressive Coalitions in Red America,” posted by My Informs Aug. 19.
- Alumna Michelle Johnson-Weider was recognized on Aug. 22 in the LL.M. Program in Agricultural & Food Law Blog, for being a part of the University of Arkansas LL.M. Program in Agricultural & Food Law.
- Alumna Isabella Sobel was featured in the Aug, 21 Tampa Bay Newswire story, “Bryant Miller Olive welcomes Isabella Sobel as Senior Associate.”
- Reverend James C. Teets, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Church of the Holy Cross Appoints New Vicar,” posted by the Murfreesboro Post – Online Aug. 22.
- Milt Douglass, Stetson University alumnus, was profiled in the article, “Profile of Milt Douglass, Vice President of World-Wide Sales of CAVIUM, INC,” posted by Plus Company Updates Aug. 22.
- The Aug. 23 PRWeb reports in multiple media outlets that Law alumnus Jesse D. Berkowitz of the St. Petersburg law firm of Berkowitz & Myer has been named as a Top 100 Attorney in the state by The National Advocates.
- Laurette Koellner, graduate of Stetson University, was profiled in the article, “Profile of Laurette Koellner Director of Celestica,” posted by Plus Company Updates Aug. 23.