Stetson University in the News, Aug. 11-17
- “Stetson University had the area’s highest graduation rate at 63 percent, well beyond the national average of 42 percent. Its graduates also had the second-highest salaries of all area institutions,” according to the article, “Area’s Colleges Show Mixed Results in Fed Scorecard,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Aug. 13.
- Jack Latvala, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Republican Running for Florida Governor Says He’ll Be the Pragmatic One,” posted by My Palm Beach Post Aug. 12. Latvala was also featured in the Aug. 12 Palm Beach Post article, “GOP State Sen. Latvala Running for Governor.”
- Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Aug. 16 Tampa Bay Times story, “UF’s move to deny white nationalist Richard Spencer a venue sets up a First Amendment court fight.”
- K.C. Ma, professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Millennials Are Set to Inherit Record Wealth – And the Way They Manage It Will Be Unprecedented.” Ma said, “More than 75 million millennials born between 1981 and 1997 are ready to take over estimated $30 trillion in wealth from baby boomers,” posted by Business Insider Aug. 10.
- Law Professor Michael Allen was featured in the Aug. 11 WUSF NPR story, “Stetson Prof to Join Veterans’ Appeals Court.” He was also featured in Health News Florida in WUSF.
Eric Kurlander, professor of history at Stetson University and author of “Hitler’s Monsters,” was mentioned in the article, “Review: ‘Hitler’s Monsters’ a Chilling Look at Nazi Obsession with the Occult,” posted by Tampa Bay Times and My Informs Aug. 10.
- According to the SaintPetersBlog, Law alumna Ashley Moody is ready to become Florida’s next attorney general, succeeding Law alumna Pam Bondi.
- Law Professor Jason Bent was quoted in a Aug. 14 Bay News 9 story about the aftermath of the white supremacist march and protest, killing in Virginia, commenting on whether employees can be terminated for speech conflicting with private employers.
- Andy Dehnart, professor of journalism at Stetson University, wrote the article, “Did The Bachelorette Succeed? And 31 Other Stories About Reality Shows and Stars,” posted by Reality Blurred Aug. 15.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Disney Price Hikes Could Embarrassingly Sadden ‘The Happiest Place on Earth.'” According to Ma, it was not too long ago that some experts suggested Disney would be more profitable if it spun off ESPN,” posted by MSN Money US. Aug. 16.
- Professor Peter Lake is quoted in the Aug. 17 Politico story, “Free Speech Fights Take Center Stage.”
- Law Professor Louis Virelli spoke with Bay News 9 for the Aug. 15 news story on discrimination based on sexual orientation. The Aug. 16 Sarasota Herald-Tribune quoted Law Professor Virelli in the news article, “Judge recuses himself from 30 cases in three months.”
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the U.S. News & World Report article, “10 Tips for Keeping a Cool Head in a Market Meltdown.”
- Professor Peter Lake is quoted in the Buzz Feed article, “Want to Fire a Professor for Sexual Harassment? It’s Going to Take a While.”
- Stetson University student Leia Schwartz was quoted in the Apopka Voice article “Graham Returns to Central Florida” and the Saint Petersblog and Florida Politics Blog – South Florida Sun Sentinel article “Gwen Graham Spends ‘Workday’ at Camp for Sick Children,” posted Aug. 12.
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote the Huffington Post article, “More Loving Families and Fewer Barry Blacks,” posted Aug. 15.
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Aug. 10 Elder Law Prof Blog, “GAO Report on Federal Low-Income Programs.” She wrote the Aug. 15 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Marshall Kapp Recent Article on Factors Affecting End of Life Care in Elders.” She wrote the Aug. 17 Elder Law Prof Blog, “House Hearing on Right to Try Bill.” She wrote the Aug. 15 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Marshall Kapp Recent Article on Factors Affecting End of Life Care in Elders.”
- The Aug. 10 Daily Times quoted Law Professor Ann Piccard in the article, “Repatriation of graves is a just action.”
- The Aug. 10 Sarasota Herald-Tribune and Charlotte Sun mentioned the Tampa Law Center in an article about a 2DCA case, “Appellate court to resolve Sarasota sheriff judge impasse.”
- The Aug. 10 Tampa Bay Times reported that former Stetson Law employee Nancy Marie Fox has died.
- According to Your Observer as a recap of the MTV reality series Siesta Key, prospective law student “Alex” has been waitlisted at Stetson Law.
- Pianist Steven Lin mentioned Stetson University in the Aug. 11 article, “Intersection: Pianist Steven Lin and Cellist Francisco Vila-Haas.” Lin said, “The opportunity presented itself at Stetson University to study with David Bjella, who is a great teacher there, and I stayed for two years and they offered me a full scholarship,” posted by WMFE-FM Online.
- Former Stetson University student Mark Schwiezer was featured in the article, “The Lyric Wore Lycra,” posted by the Tryon Daily Bulletin Aug. 10.
- The Aug. 13 Bradenton Herald reported that J.D/M.B.A. alumnus Jack W. Brown III, a second-generation collection agency owner and president of Gulf Coast Collection Bureau, Inc., in Sarasota, will be the president of ACA International for the 2017-18 term.
- The Aug. 14 Miami Herald reported that Law alumnus Richard L Barbara has been named chief operating officer of Coral Gables Title + Escrow.
- Sherri Chien-Niclas, Stetson University alumna, was featured in the article, “Kodiak Date Adds to Leadership Team to Keep Pace with Accelerated Growth,” posted by Markets Insider, PR Newswire and several other outlets Aug. 15.
- According to the Aug. 15 Fox21, Law LL.M. alumnus Joseph J. Ranni has been recognized as one of the top in his industry by the expert network.
- According to the Aug. 16 Post and Courier, Law alumnus William “Bo” McGillivray Morrison Jr has died.
- Marcy Wilson, graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Girls Preparatory School Announces New Hires for 2017-18 School Year,” posted by the Chattanoogan.com Aug. 17.
- According to the Aug. 17 Press Release Rocket, Law alumnus Jesse D. Berkowitz was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2016.