Stetson University in the News, July 21-27
July 28, 2017
- Clay Henderson, executive director of Stetson University’s Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience, was featured in a special report, “Sea Level Rise is Accelerating in Florida, Scientists Warn,” posted by the Daytona Beach News-Journal, Washington Times, U.S. News & World Report, Miami Herald and other major media outlets.
- Stetson University was featured in the OnlineCollegePlan article, “Top 20 Best Online Colleges in Florida,” as one of Florida’s best online colleges.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, wrote the article, “Do Sexist Video Games Create Sexists in Real Life?” posted by the Houston Chronicle July 20.
- The July 21 Congressional Quarterly reported that Law alumnus James Byrne was nominated to be general counsel of the VA.
- Paul J. Croce, Ph.D., professor of American Studies and History at Stetson University, wrote the article, “What We Can Learn from Fake News,” posted by History News Network July 23.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Facebook Stock Crushes Expectations, Market Yawns?” Ma stated, “Facebook’s growth relies on international markets and on mobile, both of which are known to have a lower cost per click or ARPU,” posted by U.S. News & World Report July 26.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “CMG Stock: Chipotle Earnings Soar 167 Percent. Is it Enough?” Ma said, “It’s a bit disconcerting that Bill Ackman’s influence on the board has not come to fruition,” posted by U.S. News & World Report and MSN Money US July 25.
- Byung Jin Pak, Stetson University alumnus, was nominated to serve as United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, according to the article, “President Donald J. Trump Announces Fourth Wave of United States Attorney Candidate Nominations,” posted by U.S. Politics Today, Publicnow and several other outlets July 21.
- Jason Evans, assistant professor of environmental science at Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Sunburn – The Morning Read of What’s Hot in Florida Politics,” posted by Florida Politics July 25.
- Clay Henderson, executive director of Stetson University’s Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience, was quoted in the article, “Researchers Debate Seagrass Health in Mosquito Lagoon.” Henderson said, “The quality of those seagrass beds appears to have significantly changed,” posted by the Daytona Beach News-Journal Online July 23.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Should Video Game Addiction Be Recognized as a Mental Illness?” Ferguson said, “The decision was made by some scholars to assume that the criteria that the DSM used for substance abuse could simply be transferred over and applied to games,” posted by Inverse July 20.
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote the article, “Who were the Russians working for?” posted by Brennan Center for Justice July 24.
- Law Professor Louis Virelli was featured in the July 24 Bay News 9 Midday News at Noon discussing President Trump’s travel ban and the Supreme Court’s ruling.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Why Alphabet Fell Despite Q2 Earnings Beat.” Ma said, “YouTube TV has launched in 10 more American cities with local contracts to allow inclusion of the Big Four networks,” posted by U.S. News & World Report July 24.
- Law Professor Charles Rose did an interview with WUSF NPR that aired July 20 about “Death Sentence Overturned for Calie Brucia Killer” and also aired on WJCT NPR on July 20 about Florida’s death penalty.
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the July 26 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Intervention as Mitigation of Elder Mistreatment?” She also wrote the July 23 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Central States Law School Association Annual Scholarship Conference.” She wrote the July 20 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Kupuna Caregivers Act of Hawaii.”
- Law Professor Luz Nagle was prominently profiled in El Espectador’s Cromos in an article about her international work in the general area of human trafficking.
- The July 21 Targeted News Service reported that Law Assistant Director for Admissions and Diversity Initiatives Carmen Johnson is the new Pinellas Florida Association for Women Lawyers president.
- The July 22, 23 970WFLA and July 21 Schnitt Show ran news of Stetson Law School’s upcoming part-time law school information sessions.
- According to the July 25 Tampa Bay Newswire and Sarasota Herald-Tribune, USF Sarasota-Manatee recently signed an admissions agreement with Stetson University College of Law.
- According to the Ormond Beach Observer, Law alumna Kelly Chanfrau of Ormond Beach is the 2017 Volusia Flagler Association for Women Lawyers “Woman of the Year.”
- Stephanie Haridopolos, Stetson University alumna, was covered in the article, “Primary Care Physician Dr. Stephanie Haridopolos Joins TEPAS Healthcare in Melbourne,” posted by Space Coast Daily.com July 25.
- Law alumnus Nathan Bruemmer was featured in the July 25 941ceo article, “LGBT Nonprofit Names New Executive Director.”
- The July 20 Plus Company Updates reported that Law alumna Kayla Richmond has been elected to the board of the Harry Chapin Food Bank.
- Robert Redd, graduate of Stetson University and executive director of the New Smyrna Museum of History, was featured in the article, “DeBary Hall Hosts Civil War Talk,” posted by US Official News July 20.
- Scott Fischer, graduate of Stetson University, was profiled by Plus Company Updates (PCU) in the article, “Profile of Scott Fischer – Director of Marketing of American Franchise Co LLC,” posted July 21.
- Elaine Uzan O’Leary, Stetson University alumna, was covered in the article, “The American Friends of Blerancourt Exhibit in Lewiston,” posted by Bangor Daily News Online July 22.
- The July 24 PRBuzz reported that Law alumna and attorney Julia McGrath was named a 2017 Florida Super Lawyer.
- The July 24 Wakulla News reported that Law alumnus E. Alan Brock earned a Stetson Law degree on May 13.
- Christina Light, graduate of Stetson University, was profiled by Plus Company Updates (PCU) in the article, “Profile of Christina Light Relationship Manager of Bell Investment Advisors,” posted July 24.
- Keelyn Mitchell, graduate of Stetson University, was profiled by Plus Company Updates (PCU) in the article, “Profile of Keelyn Mitchell Birthday Manager of Apple Seeds, LLC,” posted July 24.