Safer Stetson Awards
Tuition awards and more...
Stetson University is taking steps to ensure a healthy and safe campus environment leading into the Fall 2021 semester by encouraging vaccinations among the entire Stetson community. In addition, we are offering special opportunities, including two Safer Stetson one-year full tuition awards, for undergraduate and graduate students in DeLand and at the College of Law to benefit from voluntarily registering their COVID-19 vaccination through the confidential university online form.
Congratulations to Safer Stetson Awards Grand Prize winners from July 30!
- Joshua Sanchez – Full One-Year Tuition Award
- Marcus Boyd – Free One-Year Tuition Award
- Hollie Bitor – Safer Stetson Scholarship and Theme Park Tickets
- Sarah Gaudreault – Safer Stetson Scholarship and Theme Park Tickets
To learn more, read the Stetson Today story.
- July 23: All winners anonymous
- July 16: All winners anonymous
- July 9: All winners anonymous
- July 2: Katie Baita – $1000 Award (undergraduate), Devin Shaffer – free parking for a year, Anonymous* – $1000 Award (graduate), Anonymous* – free parking for a year
- June 25: Anonymous* – $1000 Award (undergraduate), Anonymous* – free parking for a year, Anonymous* – $1000 Award (graduate), Sean Ryker – free parking for a year
- June 18: Isabelle Barnett – $1000 Award (undergraduate), Gaby Padilla – free parking for a year, Anonymous* – $1000 Award (graduate), Anonymous* – free parking for a year
- June 11: Eryn Radley – $1000 Award (undergraduate), Anonymous* – free parking for a year, Anonymous* – $1000 Award (graduate), Stacy Gilmer – free parking for a year
*Recipient either has not responded or wishes to remain anonymous
As of Friday, July 2, more than 2,100 members of the Stetson community reported their completed vaccination, or approximately 31% and the university goal is 70-80% of the Stetson community. Reaching that level of vaccination would allow students to attend athletic games with friends, participate in Greek recruitment, attend large events like Homecoming, theater productions, Uncouth Hour, concerts and more.
For graduate and College of Law students reaching a higher level of vaccination allows for a return to more normal, face-to-face interactions, class sessions, conferences and competitions.
Stetson is offering two opportunities for new and returning undergraduate students to benefit by registering their vaccination with the university by Sunday, July 25.
- Stetson is offering a one-year, full tuition Safer Stetson Tuition Award for the 2021-2022 academic year for eligible, full-time, in-person students
- One tuition award to new, incoming, first year and transfer students.
- One tuition award to returning Stetson students.
- Runner up awards include tickets to either Universal Orlando or Disney World.
- Recipients will be announced live on Friday, July 30.
- Stetson is offering a weekly drawing for full-time, in-person new and returning undergraduate students for the Safer Stetson $1000 Award.
- Students who register their vaccination are eligible each week of the drawing, but can only win once.
- The first drawing is June 11 and it continues for eight weeks until July 30.
- Recipients are announced weekly.
- Runner up award is FREE annual parking pass for campus.
To be eligible, students must voluntarily register their completed vaccination (both doses of a 2-dose vaccine or 1 dose of 1-dose vaccine) by Sunday, July 25 through our online form. New first-year and transfer students also must be registered for class by Thursday, July 15.
New and returning graduate students who voluntarily register their vaccination and are planning to attend full-time, in-person classes at either the College of Law or the DeLand campus can choose to participate in weekly drawings for the Safer Stetson $1,000 Award. The award will be applied to student accounts in Fall 2021.
To be eligible, graduate students must register their completed vaccination (both doses of a 2-dose vaccine or 1 dose of 1-dose vaccine) by Sunday, July 25 through our online form. New, incoming graduate students also must be registered for class.
Weekly drawings start on Friday, June 11 and continue for eight weeks.
- Weekly drawings for $1,000 Safer Stetson Awards are open to all full-time graduate students attending in-person classes.
- For DeLand graduate students there is a weekly runner-up award of a FREE annual parking pass.
Looking for a vaccine provider? Visit the Safer Stetson Vaccination page or access the CDC’s find my vaccine link and type in your zip code. Learn more about this program, consult our awards specific FAQs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible?
Undergraduate new and returning students attending full-time, in-person who register their COVID-19 vaccination through the university online form by Sunday, July 25. Students who register also are entered into a weekly $1,000 award drawing.
Graduate students in DeLand and at the College of Law attending full-time, in-person who register their COVID-19 vaccination through the university online form by Sunday, July 25, are automatically entered into a weekly $1,000 award drawing.
What is the deadline?
Sunday, July 25, to submit your vaccination registration. If you’re getting a 2-dose vaccine, you will need to get your first shot soon in order to file a completed vaccination by July 25.
How are award recipients selected?
Recipients for the weekly awards are randomly selected from the pool of eligible students who registered their vaccination. The recipients for the Safer Stetson Tuition Award will be randomly selected from a pool of eligible new and retuning undergraduate students.
How and when will award recipients be notified?
Both weekly award recipients and the Tuition Award nominees will be contacted by phone.
When will the awards be applied to student accounts?
The awards for both opportunities will be applied to the student account in equal amounts for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. The total of all scholarship and grant assistance from all sources will not exceed $50,800 for the 2021-2022 academic year. if you have any questions, please contact The Office of Financial Planning or the Office of Enrollment Management at 386-822-8946.
If I have already submitted my vaccination, do I need to resubmit?
No further action is required on your part. All students who submitted their vaccination registration are automatically entered into the weekly drawing. Undergraduate students who already submitted their vaccination registration are automatically included. Students vaccinated during the on campus events were automatically entered into the system when they completed their second dose.
Which vaccinations for COVID-19 meet the requirements?
All vaccines approved and accepted by the CDC. More information on vaccines is available on the Safer Stetson Vaccination page.
Do I have to receive both doses of a two-dose vaccine before I can enter?
Yes. You must register a completed vaccination (both doses of 2-dose vaccine or 1 dose of 1-dose vaccine) by Sunday, July 25.
Why is Stetson encouraging all students to get vaccinated for COVID-19?
Stetson University is encouraging students, faculty and staff to get vaccinated for COVID-19 to ensure a safe and healthy campus environmet and to help move campus life back to more normal interactions. The CDC has indicated how effective the vaccines are in cutting transmission rates, new cases and hospitalizations. The higher the vaccination rate, the more protected the entire Stetson community will be and the better able the university will be to return to a more normal existence, attending games with friends and family, traveling, participating in face-to-face competitions and conferences, showing up for Uncouth Hour, concerts, late-night breakfast, participating in Greek organization activities. All these become possible with a 70-80% vaccination rate. The CDC, ACHA and White House are all encouraging colleges and universities to increase and support vaccinations efforts on their campuses.
Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccination?
For Florida residents the Stetson University Safer Stetson Vaccination page has links to multiple sources of vaccination, including vaccination centers close to the DeLand campus. Alternatively, you can access the CDC’s find my vaccine link and type in your zip code, however most major chain pharmacies and grocery stores are offering vaccinations, and vaccinations are free.
Are award recipients responsible for taxes?
Taxability varies depending on the amount of gift aid (scholarship and grant–free money) a student receives. The IRS has indicated that as long as the total amount of gift assistance does not exceed the total amount of tuition, fees, and books, the award is not taxable. Students will receive a 1098T at the end of the calendar year, indicating any taxable portion. Please contact a tax preparer or accountant for specific IRS regulations regarding the taxability of financial assistance.
Can I enter more than once?
No. Students submitting their vaccination registration are automatically entered into the drawing and there is no further action needed.
Who is not eligible?
Part-time students, fully online students, and students not attending in Fall 2021 or completing course work for graduation already under any full-tuition waiver, athletic scholarship or scholarship program are not eligible for a Safer Stetson Award, but Stetson continues to encourage all students to get vaccinated and register their vaccination.
Can I win more than one award?
Undergraduate students can receive only one of the weekly awards, whether the Safer Stetson $1,000 Award or the free annual parking pass, but undergraduate students selected for a weekly award are still included in the Safer Stetson Tuition Award drawing. Graduate students in DeLand and at the College of Law are eligible for only one of the weekly Stetson Safer $1,000 Awards.