Frequently Asked Questions
How do students qualify to participate in the HATS Program?
HATS Saturday and Summer Program require evidence of high aptitude and/or achievement. If this is the student's first time registering for a class in HATS, he or she will be required to submit documentation of eligibility from one of the following:
- K-3: Participation in a gifted program
- Acceptance letters or other applicable evidence of giftedness or potential for high-level performance
- Students who have been identified as gifted and/or who have participated successfully in a local or school gifted program
- 4-12: Achieving scores at or above the 95th percentile on a nationally normed standardized test in the areas of reading, mathematics, or science
- Documentation must be submitted in the form of test scores such as the ITBS, FSA, CTBS, DCAT, DAS, EXPLORE, PSAT, ACT, or SAT
- Students who have scored at least two standard deviations above the mean or at the 95th percentile or higher on any individual or group-administered, nationally normed, standardized, intelligence assessment
If your student does not meet the criteria specified above (e.g., homeschooled students, students without access to a gifted program, etc.), please contact the HATS administrator at HATS@stetson.edu, who will provide more information about establishing eligibility.
In which grade level should the student be registered?
Please register for courses based on the student's current grade for the 2018-2019 school year.
Can I take more than one class during the HATS Summer Program?
Yes, you can sign up for one HATS Summer course per session. There are two week long sessions available this summer.
Is transportation available?
No, parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from the HATS Program.
Will I receive a grade or any type of college credit for my HATS class?
No, there are no grades or college credit. However, you will receive a certificate of participation on the last day of class.
How do I apply for a scholarship to attend Stetson University?
The names of all HATS participants and BESTS members are provided to the Stetson University Office of Admissions. When you are ready to apply to Stetson University, please advise your admissions recruiter you have attended a HATS Summer Program and/or participated in BESTS. You will automatically receive the HATS Scholarship in addition to any other scholarship awards. (HATS and BESTS students are typically strong students who qualify for substantial scholarship opportunities at Stetson University.)
Can I pay for classes online?
Yes, we accept credit cards for online payment.
Why are some classes cancelled?
Classes are cancelled when too few students sign up for them. We contact families to determine whether another class is acceptable or if a refund is required.
How do I know if a class is available?
You may register for any course listed on the website. If a class fills up, we will post a notice by the course description.