Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance; Chair of Finance
Dr. Stuart Michelson has much experience in being published in academic journals and now serves as a chair for many of the journals he has been published in. In addition to this, he has also earned many awards from Stetson University for his considerable work within the community.
- Ph.D., finance, University of Kansas
- M.B.A., University of Missouri
- B.S., mechanical engineering, University of Missouri
- Business Finance
- Intermediate Corporate Finance
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- MBA Corporate Finance
- EMBA Investments
- EMBA Capstone Project Business Plan
- Junior Seminar - Social Justice
- Apartheid in South Africa
- Freshman Seminar - Prejudice and Discrimination
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate finance
- Economic effects of business decisions
Stuart Michelson has been at Stetson University as the Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance since 2001. He was recently dean of the School of Business Administration for three years and director of the executive M.B.A. program for four years.
He is editor of the refereed academic journal Financial Services Review. He is a member of the editorial board of several scholarly journals, a board member of Financial Executives International and a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors. He is a past president of the Academy of Financial Services, Financial Executives International (Central Florida) and the Academy of Business Education.
Michelson has published more than 100 refereed academic journal research articles. He received the School of Business Administration's Professor of the Year Award in 2009, Researcher of the Year for several years (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007) and Outstanding Service Award in 2008 and 2015. He received the Stetson University Hand Award for Outstanding Research in 2008, and the Stetson University Hand Award for Community Impact in 2015.
- Tax efficiency in retirement accounts
- Use of alpha to increase portfolio returns
- Use of technology in education
- Mutual funds
- Portfolio risk budgeting
- Academic honesty
- Behavioral finance
- Risk tolerance and personality type
- Social Security
- Retirement decision
- Tax efficiency in portfolio performance
- "Personality Type and Investor Risk Preferences," with Mottarella, Proceedings of the Academy of Business Education Annual Meeting 2013.
- "The Impact of Different Ages and Race on the Social Security Early Retirement Decision for Married Couples," with Docking and Fortin, Proceedings of the 2013 Academy of Financial Services Annual Meeting.
- "The Influence of Race on the Social Security Early Retirement Decision for Married Couples," with Docking and Fortin, Proceedings of the 2012 Academy of Financial Services Annual Meeting (abstract).
- "The Influence of Gender and Race on the Social Security Early Retirement Decision for Single Individuals," S. Michelson, Docking and Fortin, Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, 2012.
- "Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," S. Michelson and Fortin, Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal.14(4), 2010.
- "Green Investing versus Socially Responsible Investing," S. Michelson and J. Mallett. International Journal of Business, 15(4), 2010.
- "Quantifying Risk When Using Discounted Cash Flow to Value Business," S. Michelson and W. Weaver, at Valuation Strategies, Vol. 13(5), June 2010, pp 4-10.
- "Cheating Among Business Students: Determining the Influence of Religion, Perceptions of Cheating, and the Campus Environment," S. Michelson, Sendall, Schwartz, and Stowe. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, Fall 2009.