Professor of Philosophy
Stetson University, Unit 8250, DeLand FL 32720
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal for the Philosophy of Religion
- PhD, philosophy, UNC Chapel Hill, 1973
- M.Div., Duke University, 1970
- BA, philosophy, Stetson University, 1967
- Intro to Philosophy
- Intro to Logic
- Philosophy of Religion
- Philosophy of Language
Areas of Expertise
- Existentialism and The Philosophy of Religion
Ronald Hall is the editor-in-chief of the International Journal for Philosophy of Religion. He also has been president of the South Carolina Philosophical Association, the SE/AAR, The Florida Philosophical Association and the Society for the Philosophy of Religion. His interests are in the philosophy of religion and existentialism with special interests in the thought of Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard. Dr. Hall grew up in Sarasota Florida. Graduated from Stetson, in 1967 and married a Stetson Grad, Maggi (Smith) Hall who also graduated in 67.
- The Philosophy of Religion
- Wittgenstein's Philosophy
- Word and Spirit: A Kierkegaardian Critique of the Modern Age (Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1993)
- The Human Embrace: The Love of Philosophy and the Philosophy of Love: Kierkegaard, Cavell, Nussbaum (University Park, Pennsylvania: The Pennsylvania State University Press, 1999)
- Logic: A Brief Introduction (Boston: Copley, 2008) (Originally published by The Philosophy Documentary Center); now available on one at http://www.stetson.edu/artsci/philosophy/logic-text.php
- Recovering the Personal: W. H. Poteat's Philosophical Anthropology (Editor and Contributor with Dale M. Cannon) Lexington Books, 20161) "I Think, Therefore I May Not Exist" Philosophical Investigations (Vol 26 No.2, April 2003) 149-166.
- "On Getting Over Getting Over the Rainbow" Florida Philosophical Review (summer, 2009).
- "It's a Wonderful Life: Reflections on Wittgenstein's Last Words" Philosophical Investigations (October 2010)
- "On Being Known: God and the Private I" Sophia (on line first: 2019)
- "Images of Natural Evil" (International Journal for Philosophy of Religion) June 2020
- "No Doubt About It: Revisiting Wittgenstein's Concept of Certainty" Philosophical Forum, Fall 2020