Assistant Professor of Psychology
Dr. Crysel has authored or coauthored eight publications, focusing on individual differences in an experimental context.
- PhD, psychology, University of Florida
- MS, psychology, University of Florida
- BA, psychology, Wake Forest University
- Social Psychology
- Research Methods
Areas of Expertise
- Social psychology
Laura Crysel enrolled at Wake Forest University in August of 2005. She was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa in 2008, and she graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor of arts in psychology with honors in 2009. Crysel enrolled in the graduate program for social psychology at the University of Florida in August of 2009 and received a master of science degree from the University of Florida in 2011. She received a PhD from the University of Florida in the spring of 2014. Crysel has authored or coauthored eight publications, focusing on individual differences in an experimental context.
- Dark Triad traits (narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy)
- Schadenfreude (happiness at another's misfortune)
- Pop culture
- Crysel, L. C., Cook, C. L., Schember, T. O., Webster, G. D. (In Press). “Harry Potter and the Measures of Personality”: Extraverted Gryffindors, Agreeable Hufflepuffs, Thinking Ravenclaws, and Manipulative Slytherins. Personality and Individual Differences.
- Smith, C. V., Hadden, B. W., Webster, G. D., Jonason, P. K., Gesselman, A. N., & Crysel, L. C. (in press). "Mutually Attracted or Repulsed? Actor and Partner Interdependence Models of Dark Triad Traits and Relationship Outcomes." Personality and Individual Differences.
- Webster, G. D., DeWall, C. N., Pond, R. S., Jr., Deckman, T., Jonason, P. K., Le, B. M., Nichols, A. L., Schember, T. O., Crysel, L. C., Crosier, B. S., Smith, C. V., Paddock, E. L., Nezlek, J. B., Kirkpatrick, L. A., Bator, R. J., & Bryan, A. D. (2014). "The Brief Aggression Questionnaire: Psychometric and Behavioral Evidence for an Efficient Measure of Trait Aggression." Aggressive Behavior, 40, 120-139. doi:10.1002/ab.21507.
- Crysel, L. C., Crosier, B. S., & Webster, G. D. (2013). "The Dark Triad and Risk Behavior." Personality and Individual Differences, 54, 35â40. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2012.07.029.
- Howell, J. L., Collisson, B. D., Crysel, L., Garrido, C. O., Newell, S. M. Cottrell, C. A., & Shepperd, J. A. (2013). "Managing the Threat of Impending Implicit Attitude Feedback." Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Jonason, P. K., Webster, G. D., Schmitt, D. P., Li, N. P., & Crysel, L. C. (2012). "The Antihero in Popular Culture: Life History Theory and the Dark Triad Personality Traits." Review Of General Psychology, 16, 192-199. doi:10.1037/a0027914.
- Webster, G. D., Cottrell, C. A., Schember, T. O., Crysel, L. C., Crosier, B. S., Gesselman, A. N., & Le, B. M. (2012). "Two Sides of the Same Coin? Viewing Altruism and Aggression Through the Adaptive Lens of Kinship." Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 6, 575â588. doi:10.1111/j.1751-9004.2012.00449.x.
- Webster, G. D., & Crysel, L. C. (2012). "Hit Me, Maybe, One More Time: Brief Measures of Impulsivity and Sensation Seeking and Their Interactive Prediction of Blackjack Bets." Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 591-598. doi:10.1016/j.jrp.2012.07.001.
- Petrocelli, J. V., & Crysel, L. C. (2009). "Counterfactual Thinking and Confidence in Blackjack: A Test of the Counterfactual Inflation Hypothesis." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 1312-1315. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2009.08.004