Executive Director for the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence
Dr. Julia Metzker currently serves as Executive Director at the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence at Stetson University. She learned the value of a transformative liberal arts education at The Evergreen State College. Dr. Metzker has a keen interest in developing engaging courses that are the building blocks of a transformative college experience, particularly using thematic approaches to engage students with conceptional challenging topics.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of York, UK
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, 2001
- B.S./B.A., Evergreen State College, 1995
- Chemistry and Climate
Areas of Expertise
- Curriculum and course design
- Community-based learning
- Democratically-engaged assessment
Dr. Julia Metzker currently serves as Executive Director at the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence. She received a B.S. from The Evergreen State College where she learned first-hand the value of a transformative liberal arts education. Julia has a diverse portfolio of faculty development work, ranging from guiding educators through the process of reframing the content in their courses using civic issues to designing values-based assessment strategies to developing Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) projects. In addition to designing and executing a successful summer institute, she has facilitated teaching and learning workshops at a variety of universities and conferences.
Dr. Metzker is a founding member of an inclusive collaboration of higher educators, known as the Innovative Course-building Group (icbg.wordpress.com), who provide professional development around issues of learning. As a co-founder of IC-bG, she promotes curricular innovation by mentoring faculty across institutions and disciplines to use civic issues and active pedagogies as a catalyst for designing engaging courses that result in important student learning.
- Innovative pedagogies
- Liberal Arts curriculum
- Curricular coherence
- Community-based learning
- Bioinorganic chemistry
- Bandy, J., Bartel, A., Clayton, P., Gale, S., Mack, H., Metzker, J., Nigro, G., Price, M., & Stanlick, S. (2017). Values-Engaged Assessment: Reimagining Assessment through the Lens of Democratic Engagement, (in press)
- Metzker, J. K., Mills, C. J., & Richards, R. A. Sustaining a Culture of Undergraduate Research Through Robust Faculty Evaluation Processes. CUR Quarterly, 2015, 35 (3), 46.
- Mills, C. J., Metzker, J. K., & Richards, R. A. Undergraduate Research as Pedagogy: Promoting and Sustaining a Culture of Undergraduate Research among Chemistry Majors. In Addressing the Millennial Student in Undergraduate Chemistry; Potts, G.E., Dockery, C.R, Eds., American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2014; pp 91-104.
- Kleine, K. L. M. & Metzker, J Incorporating Egan's Imaginative Education into the curriculum and the culture at the post-secondary level. Creative Education, 2012, 03, 746-8.