Visiting Assistant Professor of World Languages and Cultures
Jamile Forcelini was born and raised in Passo Fundo, south of Brazil, in the state of Rio Grande do Sul.
- Ph.D., Hispanic Linguistics (ABD), The Florida State University
- M.A., Hispanic Linguistics, The Florida State University
- B.A., English and Portuguese Languages and Literatures, Universidade de Passo Fundo
- Elementary Spanish I
- Elementary Spanish II
- Elementary Portuguese I
- Elementary Portuguese II
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Introduction to Psycholinguistics
Areas of Expertise
- Spanish Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
- Portuguese Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
- Portuguese for Spanish Speakers
- English Applied Linguistics
- Teaching English as a Second and Foreign Language (TESOL/TEFL)
Jamile Forcelini also holds a TESOL certificate from Florida State University. She has been teaching languages (English, Portuguese and Spanish) for over 17 years. She has also taught advanced/content courses at different types of local institutions as well as institutions abroad. (i.e., a liberal arts colleges, research universities, language courses, elementary and high schools and study abroad programs). In these different environments, she has been able to interact with all kinds of learners. In the past, she has been the recipient of two Fulbright grants to teach abroad and to promote pedagogical training to local language teachers from public schools in Brazil. Besides her passion and vivid work in teaching and promoting training and certification in language instruction; Jamile focuses on conducting scientific research in areas such as trilingualism, bilingualism and lexical processes in a second or foreign language.
- Second (L2) and Third (L3) Language Acquisition
- Bilingualism and Trilingualism
- Psycholinguistic Approaches to Bilingual and Trilingual Language Acquisition
- Communicative Approaches to Language Instruction
- Bilingual and Trilingual Lexical Processes
- Vocabulary Acquisition in L2/L3
- Cognate Lexical Processes
- Sunderman. G & Forcelini, J. Quality of Lexicosemantic Representation in L2 Spanish. Spanish Vocabulary Learning in Meaning-Oriented Instruction Series: Routledge Advances in Spanish Language Teaching Series Editor: Javier Muñoz-Basols. Volume Editor: Joe Barcroft.
- 2016 Forcelini, J. Critical Pedagogy and Language Acquisition: Benefiting from a country's crisis to improve Second Language Instruction. Journal of Global Initiatives: Policy, Pedagogy, Perspective: Vol. 11: No. 1 Article 12. p.123 - 136.
- 2014 Ramos-Sollai, S; Forcelini, J; Parma, A. Pelas contas do rosário! A inserção da cultura brasileira atrave's dos bordões novelísticos nas aulas de PLE. Portuguese Language Journal, 8. p.1 - 25.
- 2017 Farinon, M. J. Educação e e'tica sob o enfoque da abordagem das capacidades. Cadernos de pesquisa (UFMA), v. 24, p. 12-25.
- 2017 Frandaloso, M. A. L.; Burgos, Albert Cuchi I; Cunha, E. G. The application of eco-efficiency in university buildings: policies and decision-making process. In: Symposium on Sustainability in University Campuses - SSUC-2017, São Paulo. Proceedings of SSUC-2017. Hamburgo: HAW-MMU-USP. p.1 - 14.
- 2011 Sommer, S., Altas, C., & Scwartz, M. (Directors), & Sommer, S. (Producer). Check Your Body at the Door: The Elusive, Artful Word of Club Dancing. [Motion picture on DVD]. USA: Tendu TV, Inc. Documentary. The Orchard Entertainment.
- Forcelini, J & Sunderman. G. When More is Less: The Effect of a Third Language on a Second Language. Hispania, Benjamin Fraser, The University of Arizona.
- Forcelini, J., & Parma, A. Cross-Linguistic Transfer in Third Language Acquisition: Rethinking Earlier and Current Notions on Language Transfer and Trilingualism. International Journal of Multilingualism. Clevedon, U.K.: Multilingual Matters..