Assistant Professor of Family Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
As a teacher, my goal is to develop a set of knowledge, skills and personal characteristics that reflect professionalism in my students. Particularly, I want to help students gain knowledge about management processes in the context of organizations, with an emphasis on the family business context. Thus, all of my teaching activities are created with these goals in mind.
- Ph.D., Michigan State University
- University Specialist, Universidad de Antioquia
- B.A., Universidad de Antioquia
- Family Enterprise
- Family Enterprise
- Special Topics
- Principles of Management
- Human Resources
- Business Communication
Areas of Expertise
- Family business
- Strategic communication
- Crisis management
Isabel C. Botero, Ph.D., is an educator, researcher and consultant in the areas of management and family enterprise. She obtained her Ph.D. from Michigan State University. Her areas of specialty include strategic communication processes, communication in and about family enterprises, influence processes in organizations and next generation issues in family enterprises.
Botero has been a full time faculty at Illinois State University and the University of Minnesota Duluth; an adjunct instructor at the University of Kentucky, DePaul University and the University of Illinois Springfield; and a visiting scholar in the College of Business and Social Science at Aarhus University in Denmark.
- Branding in family enterprises
- Attractiveness to family businesses
- Family enterprises in Latin America
- Governance in family enterprises
- Psychological processes in family enterprises
- Philanthropy in family firms
- Next generation issues in family firms
- Subramanian, R., Heetebrij-van Dalfsen, M., Matser, I. A., & Botero, I. C. (2017). Diemen Car Interiors: Growth Challenges in a Family Firm. In: Cases and Exercises in Organizational Development and Change (2nd, D. L. Anderson Editor). Sage Publications. ISBN: 9781506344478
- Botero, I.C., & Gomez Betancourt, G. (2017). Governance Structures and family firms and their use in Latin America. In F. W Kellermanns & F. Hoy (Eds.): Family Business Companion (pp. 549-566). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Botero, I. C. (2016) Family Businesses. In: J. Kaplan & A.C. Warren, Patterns of Entrepreneurship, 5th Edition. Wiley.
- Largos Cortes, D., & Botero, I. C. (2016) Corporate Governance in Family Businesses from Latin America, Spain and Portugal: A Review of the Literature. Academia RevistaLatinoamericana de Administracion, 29(3), 231-254.
- Feliu, N., & Botero, I. C. (2016) Philanthropy in Family Enterprises: A review of Literature. Family Business Review, 29(1), 121-141. DOI: 10.1177/0894486515610962
- Botero, I.C., Gomez-Betancourt, G., Betancourt-Ramirez, J. B., & Lopez-Vergara, M. P. (2015) Family protocols as governance tools: Understanding why and how family protocols are important in family firms. Journal of Family Business Management, 5(2), 218-237.
- Lopez-Vergara, M. P., & Botero, I. C. (2015) The role of noneconomic goals for psychological ownership in family firms. European Journal of International Management, 9(2), 201-220. **The two authors contributed equally.
- Botero, I. C., Cruz, C., De Massis, A., & Nordqvist, M. (2015). Family Business research in the European Context. European Journal of International Management, 9(2), 139-159. - Authors contributed equally.
- Boyd, B., Botero, I.C., & Fediuk, T.A. (2014) Incumbent decisions about succession transitions in family firms: A conceptual model. International Journal of Financial Studies, 2(4), 335-358.
- Helmle, J. R., Botero, I. C., & Seibold, D. R. (2014) Factors that influence work-life balance in owners of copreneurial firms. Journal of Family Business Management, 4(2), 110-132. ** 2015 Outstanding Paper Award
- Botero, I. C. (2014) Effects of communicating family ownership and organizational size on applicant's attraction to a firm: An empirical examination of the USA and China. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 5(2), 184-196. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfbs.2014.01.004
- Gomez-Betancourt, G., Botero, I. C., Betancourt, J., & Lopez-Vergara, M. P. (2014) Emotional Intelligence in Family Firms: Its impact on interpersonal dynamics in the family, business, and ownership systems. Journal of Family Business Management, 4(1), 4-23.