Assistant Professor of Education, Coordinator of English to Speakers of Other Languages
A native of Switzerland who also went to school in France, Québec and the United States, Dr. Strebel is passionate about helping educators develop competence in working with multilingual and multicultural students.
- Ph.D., education, University of Central Florida
- M.A., French, University of South Florida
- B.A., French, University of Central Florida
- Principles and Methods of Instruction for Diverse Learners
- ESOL Principles and Practices
- Applied Linguistics for Teachers of English Learners
- Senior Research
- Comprehensive ESOL strategies (graduate)
- Differentiated instruction (graduate)
- Seminar: Education in an Era of Challenge (graduate)
Areas of Expertise
- English as a second language
- ESOL inclusion
Carine Strebel is an assistant professor of education and coordinator of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). Before joining Stetson University, she served at the University of Central Florida as an ESOL specialist, accreditation and program approval specialist, and adjunct instructor of ESOL, French and German.
A native of Switzerland who also went to school in France, Québec and the United States, Strebel is passionate about helping educators develop competence in working with multilingual and multicultural students. She is the associate editor of the Tapestry Journal - an interdisciplinary multidisciplinary journal on English language learner education. She also co-authored two books with Harvard Education Press: Preparing Every Teacher to Reach English Learners: A Practical Guide for Teacher Educators (2012), which received the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Outstanding Book Award, and Educating English Learners: What every classroom teacher needs to know, which was nominated for the prestigious 2016 Grawemeyer Award in Education.
- Teacher candidate beliefs and efficacy
- ESOL infusion
- Effective instruction of English learners
- Educator professional development
- Nutta, J.W., Strebel, C., Mokhtari, K., Mihai, F.M., and Crevecoeur-Bryant, E. (2014). Educating English learners: What every classroom teacher needs to know. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press
- Hutchinson, C.J., Strebel, C., Nutta, J.W. (2013). PK12 Teacher Candidates' Beliefs and Knowledge of English Learners. The International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Review, 3 (special issue). Retrieved from https://www.hetl.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HETLReview2013SpecialIssueArticle4.pdf
- Nutta, J.W., Mokhtari, K. and Strebel, C. (2012). Preparing every teacher to reach English learners: A guide for teacher educators. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.