Cici & Hyatt Brown Hall for Health & Innovation, and Sage Hall Science Center
Stetson University will begin renovations to Sage Hall Science Center on May 10 and then break ground in June on the new Cici & Hyatt Brown Hall for Health and Innovation.
The two science buildings will be connected through internal glass walkways, creating a 123,000-square-foot science complex on the DeLand campus. The complex will serve academic programs in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science and Studies, Health Sciences, Public Health, Sustainable Food Systems and Counselor Education, as well as other academic programs across the university.
Initially, Sage Hall will undergo partial renovations to add student collaboration spaces and a cluster of new labs for molecular, microscopy, cell culture and tissue culture research. The project will be finished when students return in mid-August for the Fall 2021 semester.
The Cici & Hyatt Brown Hall for Health and Innovation is scheduled to open for the Fall 2022 semester. Longtime Stetson University Trustees and supporters Hyatt and Cici Brown donated $18 million in 2018 to construct the new building and expand health and science programs.
The new 40,000-square-foot building will feature sustainable design, state-of-the-art labs and innovative learning environments, including:
- Flexible and transparent active-learning classrooms, small group "breakout" rooms and a Play Therapy classroom for counselor education;
- Environmental and health sciences labs, a GIS Computer Lab, a Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) lab, and research pods to enable students to work and learn in a variety of educational settings;
- A new Teaching Kitchen, Teaching/Community Garden and greenhouse to support a new Sustainable Food Systems academic program, interdisciplinary learning, and Stetson’s larger community engagement efforts;
- A new Stetson Center for Optimal Health Across the Lifespan, an interdisciplinary and collaborative effort that includes faculty from Counselor Education, Health Sciences and Psychology;
- A central grand staircase to serve as a focal point in the building and encourage users to interact and collaborate, and there will also be a roof patio overlooking the teaching garden, an outdoor courtyard and rooftop solar panels.
"The ultimate goal of the new facility is to help elevate Stetson's presence in the Science and Health Sciences arena, to attract more high-quality students, faculty and researchers, increase student interest in science, attract more research grant funding opportunities, accelerate the readiness of students to meet the academic demands of health professional schools, and improve the health outcomes of the larger community through community engagement," the university wrote in a request for proposals.
The construction projects will require the closure of a few campus parking lots, such as the ones behind the duPont-Ball Library and Sage Hall, and there will be pedestrian detours. View the maps below for more information:
- Map of Pedestrian Detours with a list of alternate parking (May 10, 2021-July 20, 2022)
- Map of campus parking lots and areas used by construction crews
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation. If you have questions or concerns about the construction, please contact Facilities Management at 386-822-8808. If you have accessibility needs, please contact Public Safety at 386-822-7300 or [email protected] to arrange assistance.