Be Part of History with the Stetson 2072 Time Capsule!

I’m Madi Goff, Class of 2022. Here’s a question: Do you want to go down in history? Also, do you want the chance to be remembered by future generations of Hatters?

The 2072 Time Capsule, sponsored by the Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, is a guaranteed way to cement your legacy at Stetson University! The capsule will be placed under the new construction of the Cici & Hyatt Brown Hall for Health & Innovation — and will be opened 50 years from now in 2072.

Think of all the changes we have gone through in the past two years, plus how how much the world will change in the next 50! Think of how special it would be in 50 years for a grandchild to reopen this capsule and be provided a glimpse into what you valued so dearly today. Or how impactful it would be to come back to Stetson, 50 years later, to reminisce on your undergraduate years and the objects that aided your experience.

This is your opportunity to cement cultural objects that you feel are important to historical preservation!

As a student and historian, the idea that I could influence what is remembered about the era we are living in is incredible. Being on a college campus throughout a global pandemic is an experience unique to us, and it is imperative to document the experiences we have had and the items that have shaped our time at Stetson during COVID-19. The items placed in this capsule will eventually serve as primary artifacts. These objects selected by our community will be analyzed and then situated in the conversation of cultural history on college campuses during a pandemic. The objects preserved could eventually be cited in scholarship, and the idea of recognition as a primary source is appealing.

My friend Abigail Arient, another senior history major, says, “The time capsule is a way for students and community members to not only leave a legacy at Stetson but to be a part of history as well. The time capsule serves as a celebration to how much Stetson has grown with the addition of the new health science building and will remain to follow the further growth of Stetson after 50 years.”

Twenty lucky members of the Stetson community will be chosen to put an item in the time capsule. If I were chosen to place an object in the capsule, I would write a letter to future Phi Alpha Theta members. I would write about my college experience, the lessons I have learned, the people who helped me on the way, the classes I enjoyed and what it means to me to be an undergraduate historian at Stetson University. This letter would hopefully show the timelessness of the discipline of history, and that even though the world has drastically changed over the last few decades, our love for Stetson and the pursuit of intellectual development have not changed. All entrants will also be invited to write a short note, which will be put in the twin capsule alongside.

Tickets are $5 each, or five tickets for $20. To purchase online, go to https://www.stetson.edu/forms/artsci/history/. Or, you can stop by CUB or Elizabeth Hall Oct. 12-15 to purchase tickets. Proceeds will go to fund the Phi Alpha Theta State Conference, hosted by Stetson this year, and academic travel for history students.

For more information, contact Dr. Kimberly Reiter at [email protected].