Get Cultural Credit! Chance to Win Prizes! Join us for America Recycles Day
Are you interested in winning tickets to Sea World or Aquatica and getting Cultural Credit at the same time? If so, join us for America Recycles Day.
On Tuesday, Nov. 15, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., in front of the CUB, the Stetson University Recycling Team is participating in this year’s America Recycles Day. America Recycles Day (http://americarecyclesday.org), a program of Keep America Beautiful, is the only nationally recognized day dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the United States held annually. This event promotes environmental citizenship and encourages individuals to reduce, reuse and recycle. This is a Cultural Credit approved event.
All faculty, staff and students are invited to participate in this year’s event. There will be music, games and prizes. Anyone who brings a recyclable item and signs the Pledge to Recycle, will be entered to win a door prize. This year prizes include: Tickets to SeaWorld, Aquatica and gift certificates to local downtown businesses.
Why does Stetson host an America Recycles Day event?
- To celebrate and increase recycling.
- To improve education about what is recycled in our community and on our campus.
- To motivate people to recycle more by providing a way to demonstrate their commitment.
Reasons to Recycle:
- Recycling is the easiest thing we all can do 365 days a year to save energy, conserve natural resources and create green jobs.
- Recycling is a multibillion dollar industry that employs millions of Americans and helps advance our clean energy economy.
According to americarecyclesday.org, the national recycling rate has increased every year for the past 30 years and the current recycling rate is 34.5 percent.
- This saves the equivalent of the annual energy consumption of nearly 10 million U.S. households per year.
- Avoids greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to removing more than 33 million cars from the road each year.
Through events like this, and with your help, we can continue to increase this percentage again this year. Last year at Stetson University, we recycled over 267,000 pounds of material. This was a significant reduction of waste that would have impacted our local landfill.
Please contact Dale Peterson, Stetson University Recycling Coordinator (Streets and Grounds) at email@example.com or at 386-822-8820 if you have any questions.