The tragedy in Orlando has affected us all in one way or another. Whether you were directly or indirectly impacted, you may feel emotional or psychological shock much like the way your body goes into shock after a physical injury. Some people have reactions shortly after an event, some days later, and some not at all.
Human Resources would like to remind employees of the resources available through Aetna Resources for Living our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). There are a number of helpful materials on their website. In addition, confidential counseling is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What can you do after a difficult event?
- Don’t go it alone. After the event, getting some time alone may help reduce the feeling of threat or stress. Later, it’s better to talk with others and gather support.
- Talk out what happened and how you feel about it. Telling what happened while ducking your feelings leaves you with just telling “war stories.” When you name and express your feelings, the bad feelings become easier to bear.
- Accept the concern and care of others. Reach out to family, close friends and those you trust.
- Practice healthy living. Enjoy health food and drinks. The stress will only last longer if you turn to alcohol or drugs to get yourself through it. Exercise to give yourself energy and clear your mind.
- Acknowledge support among those you work with. Think about the comfort or help you’ve received from each other. Ask how coworkers are doing. Talk about how this has affected work.
- Avoid self-criticism. This is a time for healing, not blaming. Plan to do something positive in your life.
- Remember that most reactions are normal and are likely shared by others. They remind you that you care.
Aetna Resources for Living is ready to help employees and household members. Their website is https://www.resourcesforliving.com. Confidential counseling is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 1-800-272-7252.
C. Drew Macan, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Associate Vice President for Human Resources
421 N. Woodland Boulevard, Unit 8327
DeLand, FL 32723